Area of Circle Cut by Line: Find Solution Here

In summary, the problem is to find the area of the two regions in which y = mx divides x2+y2-2ax < 0. The suggested solution involves using a regular integral or a double integral in polar coordinates, with the latter being the preferred method due to its simplicity. The final solution involves finding the point of intersection between the line and the circle, and setting up the appropriate limits of integration for the desired area.
springo

Homework Statement

Find the area of the two regions in which y = mx divides x2+y2-2ax < 0.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I was thinking of the following:
[tex]\int_{0}^{2a}\int_{\sqrt{2ax-x^2}}^{mx}dy\:dx[/tex]Thanks for your help!

Physics news on Phys.org
This should work, except that your lower limit of integration on the inner integral should be [itex]-\sqrt{2ax - x^2}[/itex], since for a given x value, your y values range from the lower half of the circle up to the line.

This integral will give you the area within the circle up to the line. The remaining area is the area of the circle minus the area you found from the integral.

Mark44 said:
This integral will give you the area within the circle up to the line.

I think there is a small problem with this idea: Depending on the value of [itex]m[/itex] , the line may (only if [itex]m=0[/itex]) or may not be the upper bound for the entire lower region. If the line [itex]y=mx[/itex] cuts through the disk exactly in half, then your integral will work. However, if it doesn't [itex]y=mx[/itex] will only be the upper bound until the second intersection point ([itex]x=\frac{2a}{1+m^2}[/itex] ); after that, the upper bound will be [itex]y=\sqrt{2ax-x^2}[/itex].

Last edited:
Thanks for the correction Mark.

Gabbagabbahey, I'm not entirely sure what you mean. Is it that that the integral only adds area if the line is inside the circle? That would imply that for negative values of m, we could get the area just with this integral, and for positive values of m we could get the area by using [itex]\sqrt{2ax-x^2}[/itex] as upper bound and [itex]mx[/itex] as lower bound, wouldn't it?

gabbagabbahey said:
I think there is a small problem with this idea: Depending on the value of [itex]m[/itex] , the line may (only if [itex]m=0[/itex]) or may not be the upper bound for the entire lower region. If the line [itex]y=mx[/itex] cuts through the disk exactly in half, then your integral will work. However, if it doesn't [itex]y=mx[/itex] will only be the upper bound until the second intersection point ([itex]x=\frac{2a}{1+m^2}[/itex] ); after that, the upper bound will be [itex]y=\sqrt{2ax-x^2}[/itex].

You're right. I even have a drawing, but didn't look closely enough at it.

springo said:
Thanks for the correction Mark.

Gabbagabbahey, I'm not entirely sure what you mean. Is it that that the integral only adds area if the line is inside the circle? That would imply that for negative values of m, we could get the area just with this integral, and for positive values of m we could get the area by using [itex]\sqrt{2ax-x^2}[/itex] as upper bound and [itex]mx[/itex] as lower bound, wouldn't it?

I'll attach a couple of quick plots to show you what I mean. In the first plot ([itex]a=2[/itex] and [itex]m=2[/itex] ), the integral calculates the area of the entire shaded region, not just the area inside the circle. In the second plot ([itex]a=2[/itex] and [itex]m=-2[/itex] ) the integral gives the area of the two lightly shaded regions.

http://img265.imageshack.us/img265/1762/circ1.th.jpg

http://img231.imageshack.us/img231/6420/circ2.th.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
OK I see now.
So what can I do then?

Break it up into two integrals, between x=0 and the intersection point your upper and lower y-bounds are the line and the lower part of the circle. Between the intersection point and x=2a, your upper and lower bounds are the upper and lower halves of the circle.

Alternatively, you could switch to polar coordinates and avoid this problem altogether.

BTW, you don't need an iterated integral to do this problem.

Here's what I would do.

If m > 0, find the point of intersection of the line with the circle, as gabbagabbahey already showed. The inner integral should have the y value range from the line up to the circle, and the outer integral should range from x = 0 to the x value at the other point of intersection. That gives you the area of the upper (and smaller) piece. The area of the other piece is the area of the circle minus what you just found.

If m < 0, change the sign of m and proceed as above. The circle is symmetric with respect to the x-axis, so it doesn't matter if the line is, for example, y = 2x or y = -2x. With either line, the small segments have the same area, and the large segments have the same area.

Thanks, I solved it by doing it with a regular integral, but since this is in my list of exercizes about double integrals, I think I have to find a way to do it using those.

I was trying the polar method because it seems the "cleanest" way to do it since the integrals are less complicated.
So, I got:
θ = arctan(m) ...the line
r2 - 2·a·r·cos(θ) < 0 ...the circle

So...
[tex]\int_{\arctan m}^{\frac{\pi}{2}}\int_{0}^{2a\cos \theta}r\:dr\:d\theta[/tex]

And then just integrate which is pretty easy here...
Is that OK?

springo said:
I was trying the polar method because it seems the "cleanest" way to do it since the integrals are less complicated.
So, I got:
θ = arctan(m) ...the line
r2 - 2·a·r·cos(θ) < 0 ...the circle

So...
[tex]\int_{\arctan m}^{\frac{\pi}{2}}\int_{0}^{2a\cos \theta}r\:dr\:d\theta[/tex]

And then just integrate which is pretty easy here...
Is that OK?

Looks good to me!:smile:

Ok then, thanks for your help guys!

Related to Area of Circle Cut by Line: Find Solution Here

1. What is the formula for finding the area of a circle cut by a line?

The formula for finding the area of a circle cut by a line is (πr^2)/2, where r is the radius of the circle.

2. How do I know if a line cuts through a circle?

A line will cut through a circle if it intersects the circle at two points.

3. Can the area of a circle cut by a line be negative?

No, the area of a circle cannot be negative. If the line cuts through the circle, the area will always be a positive value.

4. Is there a specific method for finding the solution to the area of a circle cut by a line?

Yes, there is a specific method for finding the solution. You can either use the formula (πr^2)/2 or visually divide the circle into two equal parts and find the area of one part.

5. What are some practical applications of finding the area of a circle cut by a line?

Finding the area of a circle cut by a line can be useful in various fields such as engineering, architecture, and physics. It can be used to calculate the area of a curved surface or to find the area of a cross section of a cylindrical object.