Area of an equilateral triangle

In summary, the problem involves finding the area of an equilateral triangle ABC with a point P inside it, where PA = 3, PB = 4, and PC = 5. The Law of Sines or Law of Cosines can be used to find the side lengths of the triangle and Heron's Formula can then be applied to find the area. It is also suggested to construct a congruent equilateral triangle on side AP and use the Law of Cosines to find the side lengths.
Peking Man
Given an equilateral triangle ABC, P is any point inside it where PA = 3, PB = 4 and PC = 5.
Find area of the triangle using the Law of Sines or Law of Cosines.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
What ideas have you had so far?

Peking Man said:
Given an equilateral triangle ABC, P is any point inside it where PA = 3, PB = 4 and PC = 5.
Find area of the triangle using the Law of Sines or Law of Cosines.

I know you're new around here ;) , so you might not know that it is preferable to show work. (That might be in the rules...)

So I'll get the ball rolling.

Letting a , b, c be the (equal) sides of the "big" triangle and A, B, C the angles formed by... oh dear, I have confused the letters. If the verteces of the outer triangle were renamed...
we have
c^2 = 3^2 + 4^2 - 2(3)(4)cos(C)
etc.
but c^2 = b^2 = a^2 and A + B + C = 360

Can you take it from here?

Heron's Formula may come in handy here, once you have used the Sine Rule and/or Cosine Rule to evaluate the side lengths of the triangle. If a, b, c are the side lengths of your triangle, then

$$ Area = \sqrt{s(s - a)(s - b)(s - c)} $$

where $$ s = \frac{a + b + c}{2} $$

Prove It said:
Heron's Formula may come in handy here, once you have used the Sine Rule and/or Cosine Rule to evaluate the side lengths of the triangle. If a, b, c are the side lengths of your triangle, then

$$ Area = \sqrt{s(s - a)(s - b)(s - c)} $$

where $$ s = \frac{a + b + c}{2} $$

- the teacher said, the Law of Cosines or Law of Sines is enough to solve the problem, but how?

---------- Post added at 11:29 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:21 PM ----------

Area = (ab/2)sin C = (ac/2)sin B = (bc/2)sin A, and a = b = c. the only missing value is the side of the equilateral triangle ... the application of the Law of Sines and Cosines eludes me so far.

I followed CHAZ suuggestions, but three more internal angles remained unknown ... i have more problems to deal then.

Last edited:
Can you evaluate ONE side of the equilateral triangle? If you have one side, you have them all. Then you can use Heron's Formula (much easier)...

This is really a classic problem.
Here's a Hint:

Construct an equilateral triangle on side AP, look for a congruent triangle and use Law of Cosines.

Related to Area of an equilateral triangle

What is the formula for finding the area of an equilateral triangle?

The formula for finding the area of an equilateral triangle is A = (sqrt(3)/4) * s^2, where s is the length of one side of the triangle.

How do you determine the length of one side in an equilateral triangle?

In an equilateral triangle, all three sides are equal in length. So, to determine the length of one side, you can divide the perimeter of the triangle by 3.

Can the area of an equilateral triangle be negative?

No, the area of a triangle can never be negative. It is a measurement of the space inside the triangle and cannot have a negative value.

What unit should the area of an equilateral triangle be measured in?

The area of an equilateral triangle can be measured in any unit of length squared, such as square inches, square feet, or square meters. It is important to include the unit when reporting the area.

What is the relationship between the area and perimeter of an equilateral triangle?

The area of an equilateral triangle is directly proportional to its perimeter. This means that if the perimeter is doubled, the area will also be doubled. Similarly, if the perimeter is halved, the area will also be halved.