Area of a tunnel with two functions creating the cross section

In summary, the problem involves finding the area of one side of a symmetrical tunnel, formed by two curves/functions. The top of the tunnel is given by Function 1 and where it meets Function 2 at X = 3 and Y = 3, Function 2 becomes the side of the tunnel. The tunnel cross section is a mirror image of the right side, flipped over the Y axis. The equations given are y = 5 + (2/((x-4)^3)) and y = (x -1)^3 - 5. To find the area, it is suggested to integrate the difference between Function 1 and 0 until Function 2 becomes greater than 0, then integrate the difference between Function
Creaturemagic

Homework Statement

Two curves/functions make up one side of a tunnel (the tunnel is symmetrical, so the other side is the same)
Function 1: y = 5 + (2/((x-4)^3))
Function 2: y = (x -1)^3 - 5
I need to find the area of the tunnel, so I can find the amount of dirt that needs to be removed,
So I need the area of one side of the tunnel cross section.

This is what it looks like with both functions. Where they meet at X = 3 and Y = 3, is where they join.
http://img203.imageshack.us/img203/9497/04142013image003.jpg

So The top of the tunnel is Function 1, when F1 meets Function 2, function 2 becomes the side of the tunnel. The tunnel cross section looks like this:
http://img703.imageshack.us/img703/8360/tunnela.png
Remembering this is just the right side of the tunnel, the left side is the same, flipped over the Y axis, to form a full tunnel.

Homework Equations

I thought it would just be an integral with limits, but the more I thought about it, the less I believed that was correct. I don't really know what equation to use to find the area when the curves only intercept once not twice.

Thanks for all your help!

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Creaturemagic said:

Homework Statement

Two curves/functions make up one side of a tunnel (the tunnel is symmetrical, so the other side is the same)
Function 1: y = 5 + (2/((x-4)^3))
Function 2: y = (x -1)^3 - 5
I need to find the area of the tunnel, so I can find the amount of dirt that needs to be removed,
So I need the area of one side of the tunnel cross section.

This is what it looks like with both functions. Where they meet at X = 3 and Y = 3, is where they join.
http://img203.imageshack.us/img203/9497/04142013image003.jpg

So The top of the tunnel is Function 1, when F1 meets Function 2, function 2 becomes the side of the tunnel. The tunnel cross section looks like this:
http://img703.imageshack.us/img703/8360/tunnela.png
Remembering this is just the right side of the tunnel, the left side is the same, flipped over the Y axis, to form a full tunnel.

Homework Equations

I thought it would just be an integral with limits, but the more I thought about it, the less I believed that was correct. I don't really know what equation to use to find the area when the curves only intercept once not twice.

Thanks for all your help!

You just want to integrate the difference between f11 and 0 until the point where f12 becomes greater than 0, then integrate the difference between f11 and f12 until they intersect, don't you? Just split it into two integrals.

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to Area of a tunnel with two functions creating the cross section

What is the formula for finding the area of a tunnel with two functions creating the cross section?

The formula for finding the area of a tunnel with two functions creating the cross section is to first find the integral of both functions. Then, subtract the smaller integral from the larger integral. This will give you the area of the cross section.

How do you determine which function is on top and which is on bottom when finding the area of a tunnel with two functions creating the cross section?

In order to determine which function is on top and which is on bottom, you can graph the two functions and see which one is above the other at each point. The function on top will have a larger y-value at each point.

Is it possible for the area of a tunnel with two functions creating the cross section to be negative?

No, the area of a cross section cannot be negative. The integral will always produce a positive value, and when subtracting the smaller integral from the larger one, the result will either be positive or zero.

Can the area of a tunnel with two functions creating the cross section be approximated using numerical methods?

Yes, the area of a tunnel with two functions creating the cross section can be approximated using numerical methods such as the trapezoidal rule or Simpson's rule. These methods involve dividing the interval between two points on the graph into smaller subintervals and using the function values at each point to calculate the area.

Are there any real-world applications for finding the area of a tunnel with two functions creating the cross section?

Yes, there are many real-world applications for finding the area of a tunnel with two functions creating the cross section. This concept is used in engineering and architecture to design structures such as bridges, tunnels, and buildings. It is also used in physics and calculus to analyze and understand the behavior of various systems.