Area of a parametric surface. (Multiple integral)

In summary, the homework statement is that you need to compute the surface area of a portion of a sphere that lies within a cylinder. The first exercise is to parametrize this surface. However, the boundaries of the integral are not easy to obtain from the text and so the student makes a mistake. The second exercise is to parametrize a different surface, which is more difficult to solve. The student gets the wrong answer for this exercise as well.
maCrobo

Homework Statement

First exercise:
Compute the surface area of that portion of the sphere x2+y2+z2=a2 lying within the cylinder x2+y2=ay, where a>0.
Second one:
Compute the area of that portion of the surface z2=2xy which lies above the first quadrant of the xy-plane and is cut off by the planes x=2 and y=1.

Homework Equations

[itex]\int_{}^{}{\int_{}^{}{\left| \left| \frac{\partial r}{\partial x}\times \; \frac{\partial r}{\partial y} \right| \right|\partial x\partial y}}[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

First (exercise) parametrization: [itex]r\left( x,y \right)=x\; i+y\; j+\sqrt{a^{2}-x^{2}-y^{2}} \; k[/itex]
By using the "relevant equation" I wrote before, I get the following integral: [itex]\int_{}^{}{\int_{}^{}{\frac{a}{\sqrt{a^{2}-x^{2}-y^{2}}}\partial x\partial y}}[/itex]

Second (exercise) parametrization: [itex]r\left( x,y \right)=x\; i+y\; j+\sqrt{2xy} \; k[/itex]
By using again the "relevant equation" I wrote before, I get the following integral: [itex]\int_{}^{}{\int_{}^{}{\frac{x+y}{\sqrt{2xy}} \partial x \partial y}}[/itex]

The boundaries of the integrals can be easily got from the text of the exercise, but I won't write them not to influence your reasoning. I think there are my mistakes.
Anyway, my results are wrong, so I please you to try and tell me your results so to understand where I got lost.

Thanks in advance! :D

Physics news on Phys.org
maCrobo said:
The boundaries of the integrals can be easily got from the text of the exercise, but I won't write them not to influence your reasoning. I think there are my mistakes.
Anyway, my results are wrong, so I please you to try and tell me your results so to understand where I got lost.

Thanks in advance! :D

We can see what you did wrong only when you show it. So what are the boundaries?

ehild

Ok.
As for the first exercise: [itex]\int_{0}^{1}{\left( \int_{0}^{2}{\frac{x+y}{\sqrt{2xy}}\partial x} \right) \partial y} [/itex]

In fact the projection of the surface on the xy-plane is a rectangle.

As for the second exercise: [itex]\int_{0}^{a}{\left( \int_{-\sqrt{ay-y^{^{2}}}}^{\sqrt{ay-y^{2}}}{\frac{a}{\sqrt{a^{2}-x^{2}-y^{2}}} \partial x} \right)\partial y}[/itex]

I found the second integral a bit hard in this shape, so I tried to turn the variables in polar coordinates and I got:

[itex]\int_{0}^{\pi }{\left( \int_{0}^{\mbox{asin}\theta }{\frac{ar}{\sqrt{a^{2}-r^{2}}} \partial r} \right) \partial \theta }[/itex]
Where x=rcosθ and y=rsinθ. Then the boundary become [0,π] for θ and I evaluated that of r by plugging x(r,θ) and y(r,θ) in the cylinder equation, so that I got r=asinθ.

This is only a conventional point, but do not get in the habit of using partials in replace of "d" in integrals. That partial symbol is kind of sacred. It either refers to derivatives, Jacobian determinants, or the boundaries of open sets. When you use it in the sense of differentials, that be scary.

The boundaries look correct. What are your integration results?

ehild

Good news. I did the first one... the problem was the book that has missed a bracket in the answer.

As for the second exercise, the integral I wrote here was wrong. The right one, I checked it, is: [itex]\int_{0}^{1}{\int_{0}^{2}{\sqrt{\frac{y^{2}+x^{2}4xy}{4xy}}}dxdy}[/itex]
I don't manage to come out with a result from this last integral. I even don't manage to get the primitive.
Any idea?

For the function z^2=2xy, you have to integrate (x+y)/√(2xy), as you wrote in your original post. It was correct. Think: The function itself is symmetric to x<=>y. So should be dA.
And DavidAlan is right, use dx, dy in the integrals.

ehild

ehild said:
For the function z^2=2xy, you have to integrate (x+y)/√(2xy), as you wrote in your original post. It was correct. Think: The function itself is symmetric to x<=>y. So should be dA.
And DavidAlan is right, use dx, dy in the integrals.

ehild

I chose z=√xy so when I differentiate with respect to dx first and dy after, I get y/(2√xy) and x/(2√xy). Then I have the result of the cross product of the partial derivatives, which is -y/(2√xy) i -x/(2√xy) j +1k and finally the norm of this vector is [itex]\int_{0}^{1}{\int_{0}^{2}{\sqrt{\frac{y^{2}+x^{2}+4 xy}{4xy}}}dxdy}[/itex].
I don't come out with the one I wrote previously

P.S.: in the post #6 there is a + sign missing between the x^2 and the 4xy.

maCrobo said:
I chose z=√xy

See your original post: It was z2=2xy.

ehild said:
See your original post: It was z2=2xy.

Ops...

Anyway I tried again, this are my calculations:
http://desmond.imageshack.us/Himg694/scaled.php?server=694&filename=fotodel040112alle1055.jpg&res=medium

The answer should be 4...

Last edited by a moderator:
√2(√23+√2)≠10

ehild

I got it... I'm an idiot...
Anyway: DONE!

maCrobo said:
I got it... I'm an idiot...
Anyway: DONE!

It was just a silly mistake, I do myself quite often. You did a god job.

ehild

Related to Area of a parametric surface. (Multiple integral)

1. What is the definition of a parametric surface?

A parametric surface is a type of surface in three-dimensional space that is defined by a set of parameters, typically represented by two independent variables. These parameters are used to map points on the surface, and the resulting surface is often curved or irregular.

2. How is the area of a parametric surface calculated?

The area of a parametric surface is calculated using a multiple integral, which is a type of integral that involves integrating a function of multiple variables over a specified region. In the case of a parametric surface, the integral is typically used to calculate the surface area by integrating the magnitude of the cross product of the two tangent vectors of the surface.

3. What is the purpose of calculating the area of a parametric surface?

Calculating the area of a parametric surface is important in many fields of science and engineering, as it provides a measure of the size and shape of a three-dimensional object. This information can be used to analyze and design structures, as well as to model and understand physical phenomena.

4. Are there any special cases where the area of a parametric surface can be simplified?

Yes, there are some special cases where the area of a parametric surface can be simplified. One example is when the surface is defined by a single parameter, such as a cylinder or a cone. In these cases, the multiple integral can be reduced to a simpler form, making the calculation easier.

5. Can the area of a parametric surface be negative?

No, the area of a parametric surface cannot be negative. The multiple integral used to calculate the area always produces a positive value, representing the physical surface area of the object. However, the sign of the integral may change depending on the orientation of the surface, which can affect the direction of the normal vector used in the cross product calculation.