Area bounded by a curve and arbitrary line

In summary, Homework StatementFind the values of m for y = mx that enclose a region with y = \frac{x}{x^2 + 1} and find the area of this bounded region.
PhizKid

Homework Statement

Find the values of m for y = mx that enclose a region with [itex]y = \frac{x}{x^2 + 1}[/itex] and find the area of this bounded region.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

So I set the two functions equal to each other to solve for x in terms of m:

[itex]mx = \frac{x}{x^{2} + 1} \\\\
mx(x^{2} + 1) = x \\\\
mx^{3} + (m - 1)x = 0 \\\\
x(mx^{2} + (m - 1)) = 0 \\\\[/itex]

So when x = 0 and:

[itex]mx^{2} + m - 1 = 0 \\\\
x = \sqrt{\frac{m - 1}{m}}[/itex]

Now to solve for m, replace [itex]mx = \frac{x}{x^{2} + 1}[/itex] with [itex]x = \sqrt{\frac{m - 1}{m}}[/itex]:

[itex]m\sqrt{\frac{m - 1}{m}} = \frac{\sqrt{\frac{m - 1}{m}}}{\frac{m - 1}{m} + 1} \\\\
m = \frac{1}{\frac{m - 1}{m} + 1} \\\\
m - 1 + m = 1 \\\\
2m = 2 \\\\
m = 1[/itex]

So at y = 1x or y = x, it intersects the graph [itex]y = \frac{x}{x^2 + 1}[/itex] exactly. Looking at the graph, if the slope is less steep, it looks like it will create a region. I don't know how to mathematically show this. So I would guess between 0 < m < 1 (not inclusive I guess?) it will create a region. And for the area, the integral I set up is:

[itex]2 \cdot \int_{0}^{\sqrt{\frac{m - 1}{m}}} (\frac{x}{x^{2} + 1} - mx) dx[/itex]

Because it's symmetrical I guess. Evaluating:

[itex]2 \cdot \int_{0}^{\sqrt{\frac{m - 1}{m}}} (\frac{x}{x^{2} + 1} - mx) dx \\\\
ln(x^2 + 1) - [m(x^{2} + 1)] \\\\
ln(\frac{m - 1}{m} + 1) - [m(\frac{m - 1}{m} + 1)][/itex]

So the area is:
[itex]ln(\frac{m - 1}{m} + 1) - 2m + 1[/itex] for 0 < m < 1

Not sure where I went wrong here.

Physics news on Phys.org
Your process is right but you went wrong almost immediately. Yes, an area is enclosed only when [itex]0<x<1[/itex]. When I solved for [itex]m[/itex], here is what I got:

[itex]mx=\frac{x}{x^2+1}[/itex]
[itex]m=\frac{1}{x^2+1}[/itex]
[itex]m(x^2+1)=1[/itex]
[itex]x^2+1=\frac{1}{m}[/itex]
[itex]x^2=\frac{1}{m}-1[/itex]
[itex]x^2=\sqrt{\frac{1}{m}-1}[/itex]

From there, proceed the exact way you did and you should get the following solution for the area:

[itex]ln(\frac{1}{m})+m-1[/itex]

Arkuski said:
Your process is right but you went wrong almost immediately. Yes, an area is enclosed only when [itex]0<x<1[/itex]. When I solved for [itex]m[/itex], here is what I got:

[itex]mx=\frac{x}{x^2+1}[/itex]
[itex]m=\frac{1}{x^2+1}[/itex]
[itex]m(x^2+1)=1[/itex]
[itex]x^2+1=\frac{1}{m}[/itex]
[itex]x^2=\frac{1}{m}-1[/itex]
[itex]x^2=\sqrt{\frac{1}{m}-1}[/itex]

From there, proceed the exact way you did and you should get the following solution for the area:

[itex]ln(\frac{1}{m})+m-1[/itex]

Okay, I see my algebra error, but after you get [itex]x=\sqrt{\frac{1}{m}-1}[/itex], how do you solve for the values of m and get the boundaries 0 < x < 1? I can't do it anymore after I've fixed my error..

PhizKid said:
how do you solve for the values of m ?
[itex]x^2=\frac{1}{m}-1[/itex] allows you to write an inequality for [itex]\frac{1}{m}-1[/itex]. Simplify that, considering the cases m > or < 0 separately.

Related to Area bounded by a curve and arbitrary line

1. What is the definition of "area bounded by a curve and arbitrary line"?

The area bounded by a curve and arbitrary line refers to the enclosed space between a given curve and a line that is not parallel or perpendicular to the curve.

2. How is the area bounded by a curve and arbitrary line calculated?

The area bounded by a curve and arbitrary line can be calculated using integration techniques, specifically the definite integral. This involves finding the area under the curve between the two points of intersection with the line.

3. Can the area bounded by a curve and arbitrary line be negative?

Yes, the area bounded by a curve and arbitrary line can be negative if the curve dips below the x-axis and the line is above the curve. In this case, the area is calculated as a negative value.

4. How does the slope of the arbitrary line affect the area bounded by a curve and arbitrary line?

The slope of the arbitrary line does not affect the area bounded by a curve and arbitrary line. The only factors that affect the area are the curve and the position of the line in relation to the curve.

5. What is the significance of finding the area bounded by a curve and arbitrary line?

Finding the area bounded by a curve and arbitrary line can be useful in many fields, such as physics, economics, and engineering. It can help determine the total displacement, profit, or volume of a certain system or process.