Are you an optimist or a pessimist/cynic?

• Thread starter StatGuy2000
  • Start date
In summary: That is precisely my point, and thus why I started this poll to begin with -- to get a sense of whether PF members who choose to...In summary, pessimism is based on the belief that the world is a bad place, whereas optimism is based on the belief that the world is a good place.

Are you an optimist or a pessimist?

• An optimist

Votes: 9 45.0%
  • A pessimist/cynic

Votes: 5 25.0%
  • Other

Votes: 6 30.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
pinball1970 said:
I know exactly what you mean, we old more miserable as get older, we smile less get more illnesses/depression and our expectations of our fellow men decline because we see history repeat itself again and again.Basically we are beaten into the ground. I used a T-shirt that said "a pessimist is what an optimist calls a realist" I thought it was quite cleverNow I am just old to wear a T shirt like that that.

Curiously enough, some of the most optimistic people I've met are senior citizens (i.e. over the age of 65). Some of the most pessimistic people I've met are those in their 20s.

Physics news on Phys.org
pinball1970 said:
I try to be optimistic about stuff but it gets harder as you get older

The poll is a bit too either or

+1
How about adding Realist as an option to the poll?
Where you weight your odds realisticly.

Likes Aufbauwerk 2045 and BillTre
I'm mostly optimistic, although, not overly optimistic. For instance, I don't believe in free meals, figuratively speaking, but they are welcome.

As for cynicism - I.. it depends. Depends on the sort of people one is surrounded by.I am fully aware of the selfish pricks that are out there, but in conjunction with my (un)healthy dose of optimism, I TRY (underline, circle, bold, font 28) to see the better in people. I want to believe most of us are benign creatures, but..it's hard sometimes. I also have to remind myself that teenagers aren't people, but teenagers. They'll come around..eventually.

A balance of both.

Likes Tom.G
I vote for Realist.

I consider myself a realist. If I see something to be optimistic about, I'm optimistic. If I don't I can be the opposite. Although, I do generally lean more towards optimism.