Are we rude to ignore a person's timezone

• Thread starter bwana
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation is about the idea of having a local time stamp for a person in a chat. This would help determine the appropriate greeting based on the person's time zone. One person believes ignoring someone's circadian rhythm is rude and provides an example of how it can cause problems. The other person suggests that asking for the time zone is a good topic of conversation. The conversation ends with a question about why "good morning" was said at a certain time.
bwana
good morning all. it would be nice if the local time stamp for a person was included after the name when we are in chat.
Then i could know whether to say good morning or something else.

I think that ignoring a person's circadian rhythm is just rude.

Physics news on Phys.org
Why is it rude? Can you provide an example of a scenario in which the lack of appreciation for different time zones has caused problems? I'm struggling to understand.

i guess i was bored on a sunday morning and was thinking about random things like this. 'rude' is an exaggeration and perhaps something that stuck in my head from jar jar binks. I thought that knowing the 'when' of someone i was chatting with would be helpful.

You can always ask :) It's a good topic of conversation.

Why did you say "good morning" at 4:36 PM (for me)? :p

Likes Orodruin
bwana said:
good morning all. it would be nice if the local time stamp for a person was included after the name when we are in chat.
Then i could know whether to say good morning or something else.

I think that ignoring a person's circadian rhythm is just rude.
Go to

My PF at the top of any page, select "My Preferences", then select your time zone.

Related to Are we rude to ignore a person's timezone

What is the significance of a person's timezone?

A person's timezone is an important factor to consider when communicating with them because it determines their available hours of the day. It is respectful to acknowledge and accommodate for someone's timezone to ensure effective communication and avoid disrupting their schedule.

Is it rude to ignore a person's timezone?

Ignoring a person's timezone can be considered rude, as it shows a lack of consideration for their schedule and availability. It can also create confusion and miscommunication, which can be frustrating for both parties.

What are the potential consequences of ignoring a person's timezone?

Ignoring a person's timezone can lead to missed deadlines, delayed responses, and overall inefficiency in communication. It can also create a negative impression and damage the professional relationship between individuals.

How should one handle communication with someone in a different timezone?

When communicating with someone in a different timezone, it is important to be aware of their local time and adjust your communication accordingly. This may include scheduling meetings or sending emails at a time that is convenient for both parties. It is also helpful to use tools such as time zone converters to accurately determine the time difference between your locations.

What are some ways to be respectful of a person's timezone?

Some ways to be respectful of a person's timezone include acknowledging the time difference, being mindful of their available hours, and adjusting your communication and meeting times accordingly. It is also considerate to give advance notice if there are any changes to scheduled meetings or deadlines due to time zone differences.