Are These Vectors Subspaces of R3 and Do They Span the Space?

In summary, the homework statement is trying to determine if a,b,c are subspaces of R3, and also determining if v1,v2,v3,v4 are in R3. The attempted solution states that all vectors of the form (x,y,0) are subspaces of R3, but the textbook says this is not the case. The student correctly solves for the subspace of all vectors of the form (x,y,0) by rewriting them as a linear combination of multiples of constant vectors.
Wsaw

Homework Statement

1) Determine if
a) (a,b,c), where b=a+c
b) (a,b,0)
are subspaces of R3

and

2) Determine whether the given vectors span R3
a)
v1 = (3,1,4)
v2 = (2,-3,5)
v3 = (5,-2,9)
v4 = (1,4,-1)

Homework Equations

- If u and v are vectors in W, then u + v is in W
- If k is any scalar and u is any vector in W, then ku is in W
- The set W of all linear combinations of v1,v2,...,vr is a subspace of V

The Attempt at a Solution

I know this may seems 2 relatively easy questions, i guess I'm missing something obvious here, but I was not able to figure out how to test for any subspaces and set for about 2 hours. How do we solve these kind of problems?
Thanks, Wsaw

Physics news on Phys.org
try taking arbitrary vectors and see if they're closed under the properties

eg take
u = (a,b,c) with a+b = c
and
v = (d,e,f) with d+e = f

what is u+v, does it satify the required property?

Thanks

but if

u = (a,b,0)
v = (c,d,0)

then

u+v = (a+c, b+d, 0) = w
kw = [ka+kc,kb+kd,k0)

With that answer, I would say that all the vectors of the form (x,y,0) are subspaces of R3 but my answers book say this is not and that (x,0,0) is.

what does your book say?
(x,y,0) is the z=0 plane and is a subspace
(x,0,0) is the line along the axis and is a subspace

My book says that all the vectors of the form (a,b,0) are not subspaces of R3 which I do not understand why.

doesn't sound correct to me, i think any plane through the origin shoud be a subspace, are there any other conditions?

There are no other conditions to the vector.

Anyway, thanks for your help!

Wsaw said:
My book says that all the vectors of the form (a,b,0) are not subspaces of R3 which I do not understand why.

Properly stated one would say the set of vector of that form is a subspace. And it is provided the variables a and b are unconstrained. Double check that there were no conditions on a & b. Almost any restriction, something as simple as b not equal to 5. Will invalidate the "is a subspace" definition. (However restricting b to be a multiple of a will still yield subspace).

Don't assume the books are always right. Assume you're wrong first but you will find errors in textbooks on occasion.

One way you can approach these problems is to rewrite the variable vector as a linear combination of multiples of constant vectors. For example:

(a,b,0) = (a,0,0) + (0,b,0) = a(1,0,0) + b(0,1,0). Thus if a and b are arbitrary you are looking at the span of the vectors (1,0,0) and (0,1,0).

Likewise (a,b,c) with b=a+c becomes:
(a,a+c,c) = (a,a,0) + (0,c,c) = a(1,1,0) + c(0,1,1)
Having eliminated b you now can freely choose a and c so you are again talking about the span of a set of vectors. The span of a set of vectors in a space always defines a subspace.
Proving that is a very good exercise BTW.

Related to Are These Vectors Subspaces of R3 and Do They Span the Space?

1. What is a vector space?

A vector space is a mathematical structure that consists of a set of objects, called vectors, which can be added together and multiplied by scalars (usually numbers). The vectors must follow certain rules, such as closure under addition and scalar multiplication, to be considered a vector space.

2. What is a subspace?

A subspace is a subset of a vector space that also satisfies the rules of a vector space. This means that all vectors in the subspace can be added and multiplied by scalars without leaving the subspace. A subspace can be thought of as a smaller vector space within a larger one.

3. How can you determine if a set is a subspace of a given vector space?

To determine if a set is a subspace, you must check if it satisfies the three main rules of a vector space: closure under addition, closure under scalar multiplication, and the existence of a zero vector. This means that any two vectors in the set must also result in a vector in the set when added together, any vector in the set multiplied by a scalar must also be in the set, and there must be a vector in the set that behaves like the number 0 in regular arithmetic.

4. What is the difference between a proper subspace and a trivial subspace?

A proper subspace is a subspace that is not the same as the original vector space. This means that it contains at least one vector that is not in the original vector space. A trivial subspace, on the other hand, is a subspace that contains only the zero vector and is therefore the same as the original vector space.

5. Can a vector space have more than one subspace?

Yes, a vector space can have an infinite number of subspaces. In fact, every vector space has at least two subspaces - the trivial subspace and the entire vector space itself. Other subspaces can be created by taking combinations of vectors from the original vector space, as long as they satisfy the rules of a vector space.