Are There Vitamin & Hormone Imitators in Our Body?

• Thread starter mark!
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Body
In summary: Lead poisoning can occur when a person consumes high levels of lead from environmental sources or from being exposed to lead in their workplace. Lead poisoning can cause serious health issues, including brain damage.Lead poisoning can occur from environmental sources or from being exposed to lead in the workplace. Lead poisoning can cause serious health issues, including brain damage.
mark!
There are serotonin imitators, acetylcholine imitators, also several metals, like lead, are very good 'actors' in our body, but is it true that there are also vitamin imitators and hormone imitators in our body?

Biology news on Phys.org
mark! said:
There are serotonin imitators, acetylcholine imitators, also several metals, like lead, are very good 'actors' in our body, but is it true that there are also vitamin imitators and hormone imitators in our body?
Please post links to the studies to which you are referring so that everyone that reads this thread can read the same thing so there is no confusion, Thanks.

It's a general question, really. I'm not referring to a study I know of, I'm referring to a study that might be there or not. The question is only about vitamins and hormone imitators, if that is true. Are there studies about this? Because I couldn't find them on the web, that's why maybe somebody here can help me out?

I'm not sure I understand what you're looking for either. When you refer to imitators of serotonin and acetylcholine, are you talking about human-made pharmaceuticals, natural compounds from species like plants, endogenous compounds made by the human body, or something else? Similarly, when you refer to lead as a "good" actor, how is lead acting in a "good" way? I'm only aware of lead poisoning.

With regard to hormone imitators, there are many drugs that imitate hormones (e.g. birth control pills contain compounds mimicking estrogens and other hormones), and there are many compounds classified as endocrine disruptors that are thought to cause health problems by mimicking hormones.

There are foods that have a negative effect on nutrients, sometimes called food antagonism.

Biotin is a required nutrient. Avidin is a component of uncooked egg white. Avidin binds biotin, such that animals (or humans) fed on raw egg white become biotin deficient. For humans on almost any reasonable diet a biotin deficiency is hard to find.
This discusses the avidin biotin discovery; it is old.
http://pubs.acs.org/doi/abs/10.1021/ja01858a052
Biotin deficiency in humans:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Biotin_deficiency

More generally there are foods that bind or alter nutrients and render them unavailable. Plant phytates, for example in legume seeds ( ex., beans and peas), bind required dietary metal ions - like copper, zinc, magnesium, and manganese. Phytates are metal ion-citrate complexes seed bearing plants use to store nutrients for the next generation.

Humans on long term diets high in phytic acid and phytates: for them this is a problem in developing countries because severe deficiencies can result due to phytates binding nutrients:
http://jn.nutrition.org/content/133/9/2973S.long

And for vegetarians, this discusses what you need to know for a healthful diet, avoiding the phytate issues:
http://www.andjrnl.org/article/S0002-8223(03)00294-3/abstract

Last edited:

Related to Are There Vitamin & Hormone Imitators in Our Body?

1. What are vitamin and hormone imitators?

Vitamin and hormone imitators are substances that mimic the functions of vitamins and hormones in the body. They can be naturally occurring or synthetic and can have similar effects on cells and tissues as the actual vitamins and hormones do.

2. How do vitamin and hormone imitators affect our body?

Vitamin and hormone imitators can have various effects on the body, depending on the type and amount of imitator present. Some may have positive effects, such as improving immune function or supporting bone health, while others may have negative effects, like interfering with hormone balance or causing adverse reactions.

3. Where can we find vitamin and hormone imitators?

Vitamin and hormone imitators can be found in various sources, including food, supplements, medications, and environmental pollutants. Some imitators may also be produced naturally by the body, such as phytoestrogens found in plants.

4. Are vitamin and hormone imitators safe for consumption?

The safety of vitamin and hormone imitators depends on the specific imitator and its dosage. Some imitators may be safe and even beneficial in small amounts, while others may have harmful effects in larger doses. It is important to consult with a healthcare professional before consuming any imitators.

5. Can vitamin and hormone imitators replace the actual vitamins and hormones our body needs?

No, vitamin and hormone imitators cannot completely replace the actual vitamins and hormones our body needs. While they may have similar effects, they do not provide the same level of function and may not be as effective in maintaining optimal health. It is important to consume a balanced diet and consult with a healthcare professional for proper vitamin and hormone supplementation.