Are There Science-Related Smileys Available?

• Thread starter NemoReally
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation is about the lack of science-related smileys in the forum and the suggestion to add more. The conversation also includes the option to Google and insert the desired smiley using tags. Some members express their support for more smileys while others disagree. The conversation ends with a mention of a previous smiley that may have been used in an older version of the forum.
NemoReally
I often have problems finding the right smiley to express the right nuance or implied interpretation of what I mean. An example of this is that, being a science forum, I find the lack of a "Muuhahaha" mad-scientist cackle somewhat frustrating. In addition, the "devil" smiley just doesn't have that gloating, evil, anticipatory smile that I find truly expresses my soul. Furthermore, there is no chemist with a test-tube, biologist with a microscope or butterfly net, physicist with a A-bomb (in fact,that would make a nice background to the muuhahaha smiley) or anything really science related ... not even an Einstein!

Is there any chance of adding some science-related smileys to the current set?

Physics news on Phys.org
You can always google the smiley you want and then insert it in the post by using the

Code:
[PLAIN]...[/PLAIN]

tags.

For example
th_Einstein.gif

I doubt that the demand is big enough to actually implement it in our forum. Well, maybe Greg is really bored :-p

Last edited by a moderator:
Please, no more smileys.
faint.gif

Borek said:
Please, no more smileys. [PLAIN]http://www.bpp.com.pl/IMG/faint.gif[/QUOTE]
Not even this one?

chemist-smiley-emoticon.gif

dlgoff said:
Not even this one?

[PLAIN]http://www.sherv.net/cm/emoticons/jobs/chemist-smiley-emoticon.gif[/QUOTE]

I love it :!)!

micromass said:
I doubt that the demand is big enough to actually implement it in our forum.
I wouldn't mind a few more. Sometimes the russian-roulette icon of the guy blowing his brains out suitably captures my mood...

micromass said:
You can always google the smiley you want and then insert it in the post by using the

Code:
[PLAIN]...[/PLAIN]

tags.

For example [PLAIN]http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y90/cinderella1976/smilies/people/th_Einstein.gif[/quote]
You mean like this?
images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQNoShzGH-ggujLEPa4ehIZK6Urv2ph1dniIFFSGCRYJ57h2wC_Jg.jpg

I doubt that the demand is big enough to actually implement it in our forum. Well, maybe Greg is really bored :-p

I find your lack of faith disturbing. The Empress thinks my demand is quite big enough but itself.
images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQOTYA53vFzU8jf_YSjOnD01rqX6nbP5um697DZWd3xSUxnan1e.jpg

dlgoff said:
Not even this one?

[PLAIN]http://www.sherv.net/cm/emoticons/jobs/chemist-smiley-emoticon.gif[/QUOTE]

Now, that's the kind of thing that a science forum should have! :cool:

It's not science related as such but I'm wondering where this one came from? An older version? http://physicsforums.bernhardtmediall.netdna-cdn.com/images/icons/icon6.gif

:cool:

Related to Are There Science-Related Smileys Available?

1. What are science-related smilies?

Science-related smilies are emoticons or emojis that depict various scientific concepts, tools, or symbols. They are commonly used in online communication to express emotions or reactions related to science topics.

2. How are science-related smilies created?

Science-related smilies are created by using a combination of keyboard characters and symbols. They can also be created using graphics software or downloaded from online sources.

3. What are some common science-related smilies?

Some common science-related smilies include a microscope, test tube, DNA helix, beaker, atom symbol, and various science equipment such as lab coats and safety goggles.

4. Can science-related smilies be used in professional contexts?

Yes, science-related smilies can be used in professional contexts, especially in online communication among colleagues or within scientific communities. However, it is important to use them appropriately and in moderation.

5. Are there any cultural differences in the interpretation of science-related smilies?

Yes, cultural differences can affect the interpretation of science-related smilies. For example, some symbols may have different meanings in different cultures. It is important to consider the cultural context before using science-related smilies in communication.