Are there any good in-depth books on SQL?

• Thread starter SlurrerOfSpeech
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Books Sql
In summary, the individual is looking to purchase a book on SQL that delves into the underlying implementations of database transactions, the mathematical theory behind relational databases, and optimization techniques. They prefer to learn from the bottom up and have a dislike for books that start with basic concepts. The conversation suggests three potential books for consideration: SQL Hacks by O'Reilly, SQL Anti-patterns by Pragmatic Programmers, and the SQL Cookbook by O'Reilly.
SlurrerOfSpeech
I want to buy a book on SQL, but since I already have a basic level of professional SQL experience I want to make sure I'm getting a book that goes into depth on the underlying implentations of database transactions, the mathematical theory behind relational databases, how to optimize, etc. I'm the type of person who learns a technology best by learning from the bottom up (understanding what happens at a low-level).

Any suggestions?

Technology news on Phys.org
SlurrerOfSpeech said:
I want to buy a book on SQL, but since I already have a basic level of professional SQL experience I want to make sure I'm getting a book that goes into depth on the underlying implentations of database transactions, the mathematical theory behind relational databases, how to optimize, etc. I'm the type of person who learns a technology best by learning from the bottom up (understanding what happens at a low-level). I hate books that start by teaching you "Hello, world!" and then move on to the next thing without explaining what happens when you hit the Any suggestions?
jedishrfu said:
There's SQL Hacks by O'Reilly:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/0596527993/?tag=pfamazon01-20

and SQL Anti-patterns by Pragmatic Programmers:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/1934356557/?tag=pfamazon01-20

and the SQL Cookbook by O'Reilly:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/0596009763/?tag=pfamazon01-20

Thanks, bro

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to Are there any good in-depth books on SQL?

1. What is SQL and why is it important?

SQL stands for Structured Query Language and it is a programming language commonly used for managing and manipulating data in relational databases. It is important because it allows for efficient and organized storage, retrieval, and updating of data, making it a crucial tool for data analysis and management.

2. What are some good resources for learning SQL?

There are many resources available for learning SQL, including online tutorials, video courses, and books. Some popular books on SQL include "SQL for Dummies" by Allen G. Taylor and "Learning SQL" by Alan Beaulieu.

3. Are there any in-depth books on SQL for advanced users?

Yes, there are several books that cover more advanced topics in SQL, such as "SQL Cookbook" by Anthony Molinaro and "SQL Performance Explained" by Markus Winand. These books are geared towards experienced SQL users looking to improve their skills.

4. Can I learn SQL without any prior programming experience?

Yes, SQL is a relatively easy language to learn and does not require any prior programming experience. However, having a basic understanding of databases and data management concepts can be helpful.

5. Are there any free resources for learning SQL?

Yes, there are many free online resources for learning SQL, such as W3Schools, Codecademy, and SQLZoo. You can also find free tutorials and courses on websites like YouTube and Udemy.