Are the two sequences decreasing, inferiorly bounded, and converging to 0?

• MHB
  • Thread starter Francolino
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Sequences
In summary, two sequences, $ (a_n) $ and $ (b_n) $, are given that satisfy the following conditions: $a_{n+1} = \sqrt{a_{n}\cdot b_{n}}, b_{n+1} = \frac {b_{0}}{a_{0}}\sqrt{a_{n}\cdot b_{n}},$ and $a_{0} > b_{0} > 0$. The statements given are:(1) Both sequences are decreasing.(2) Both sequences are inferiorly bounded.(3) Both sequences converge to 0.To prove these statements, we can use proof by induction. We can show that $a_{n+
Francolino
Let be $ (a_n) $ and $ (b_n) $ two sequences that verify: $$ a_{n+1} = \sqrt{a_{n}\cdot b_{n}}, \quad b_{n+1} = \frac {b_{0}}{a_{0}}\sqrt{a_{n}\cdot b_{n}}, \quad a_{0} > b_{0} > 0 $$ Indicate if the following statements are true:

(1) Both sequences are decreasing.
(2) Both sequences are inferiorly bounded.
(3) Both sequences converge to 0.

Well, I tried to do something similar to what I was suggested to do in http://mathhelpboards.com/calculus-10/convergence-sequence-15868.html. So I took polar coordinates:

Using that: $$ \left\{\begin{matrix}
a_{n} = r_{n}\cos(\theta_{n}) \\
b_{n} = r_{n}\sin(\theta_{n})
\end{matrix}\right. $$ Then: $$ \left\{\begin{matrix}
r_{n+1}\cos(\theta_{n+1}) = \sqrt{r_{n}\cos(\theta_{n})} \\
r_{n+1}\sin(\theta_{n+1}) = \left (\frac{b_{0}}{a_{0}} \right )\sqrt{r_{n}\sin(\theta_{n})}
\end{matrix}\right. $$ Squaring both equations: $$ \left\{\begin{matrix}
r_{n+1}^2\cos^2(\theta_{n+1}) = r_{n}\cos(\theta_{n}) \\
r_{n+1}^2\sin^2(\theta_{n+1}) = \left (\frac{b_{0}}{a_{0}} \right )^2 r_{n}\sin(\theta_{n})
\end{matrix}\right. $$ Summing both equations I get: $$ r_{n+1}^2 = r_{n}\left [ \cos(\theta_{n}) + \left (\frac{b_{0}}{a_{0}} \right )^2\sin(\theta_{n}) \right ] $$ But I got stuck there. :/

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Polar coordinates are not going to be much help here. I think that the key idea will be to use proof by induction.

Can you see for example whether it is true that $a_{n+1} < a_n$, or that $b_n <a_n$?

Hi,
I think you want to prove these statements directly. Here's an outline of a proof:

View attachment 4570

Attachments

• johng001.png
    johng001.png
    8.7 KB · Views: 44
Last edited by a moderator:
Hi again,
Now that you have digested my previous post, I hope, here's an alternate way to prove the results:

View attachment 4571

Attachments

• johng002.png
    johng002.png
    13.7 KB · Views: 46
Last edited by a moderator:

Related to Are the two sequences decreasing, inferiorly bounded, and converging to 0?

1. What is "Another sequences' problem"?

"Another sequences' problem" refers to a common type of mathematical problem that involves finding the next number or term in a given sequence of numbers or terms. These problems often involve identifying a pattern or rule that governs the sequence and using it to determine the missing term.

2. How do I solve "Another sequences' problem"?

To solve "Another sequences' problem", you will need to carefully examine the given sequence and look for patterns or rules that govern the sequence. These patterns or rules can often be expressed as an algebraic equation or formula. Once you have identified the pattern or rule, you can use it to find the missing term in the sequence.

3. What are some common strategies for solving "Another sequences' problem"?

Some common strategies for solving "Another sequences' problem" include looking for patterns in the differences between terms, using algebraic equations or formulas, and using trial and error to test potential solutions. It is also helpful to check your answer by plugging it back into the original sequence to make sure it follows the pattern or rule.

4. Are there any tips for quickly solving "Another sequences' problem"?

Some tips for quickly solving "Another sequences' problem" include starting by looking for simple patterns or rules, using tables or diagrams to organize the information, and trying different strategies if one approach is not working. It is also important to double-check your work and make sure your solution fits the given sequence.

5. How can I apply "Another sequences' problem" in real life?

"Another sequences' problem" can be applied in many real-life scenarios, such as predicting stock market trends, analyzing population growth, or understanding patterns in natural phenomena. These types of problems can also help develop critical thinking and problem-solving skills that can be useful in various fields of science and technology.