Are the set of all the polynomials of degree 2 a vector space?

In summary: So even though P(x) + (-(P(x)) = 0, P(x) + q(x) can't be added together to form a 2nd degree polynomial.
ironman1478

Homework Statement

Let P denote the set of all polynomials whose degree is exactly 2. Is P a vector space? Justify your answer.

Homework Equations

(the numbers next to the a's are substripts
P is defined as ---->A(0)+A(1)x+A(2)x^2

The Attempt at a Solution

I really don't know how to do this problem. i want to say that it isn't a vector space because it violates the property of having an additive inverse. as in, there is no value of x such that

F(x) + (F(-x)) = F(x)+(-F(x)) = 0 if we keep all of the values for A the same

A(0) + A(1)x + A(2)x^2 + A(0) + A(1)(-x) + A(2)(-x)^2 == 2A(0) + 2A(2)x^2 != 0

therefore, there is no additive inverse.
i probably did it wrong, but i don't know. all i know is that the book says that it isn't a vector space, but it doesn't give the reason.

Physics news on Phys.org
ironman1478 said:
i want to say that it isn't a vector space because it violates the property of having an additive inverse.

If p(x) is a 2nd degree polynomial, isn't -p(x) also a 2nd degree polynomial? And what happens when you add these two together?

ironman1478 said:
all i know is that the book says that it isn't a vector space, but it doesn't give the reason.

Can you think of two 2nd degree polynomials, p(x) and q(x), such that when you add them together, the resulting polynomial isn't 2nd degree?

so because P(x) + (-(P(x)) = 0 and therefore, the answer is not a 2nd degree polynomial, then it can't be a vector space because it isn't closed under addition? if so, then i guess i just forgot to check the first property for a set to be a vector space and assumed it to be true.

ironman1478 said:
so because P(x) + (-(P(x)) = 0 and therefore, the answer is not a 2nd degree polynomial, then it can't be a vector space because it isn't closed under addition? if so, then i guess i just forgot to check the first property for a set to be a vector space and assumed it to be true.

Yes, any vector space has to contain 0, and 0 isn't a 2nd degree polynomial.

Another example would be p(x) = x^2 + x + 1, and q(x) = -x^2. Then p(x) + q(x) = x + 1, which is 1st order.

Related to Are the set of all the polynomials of degree 2 a vector space?

1. What is a vector space?

A vector space is a mathematical structure that consists of a set of objects (called vectors) and two operations (vector addition and scalar multiplication) that satisfy certain properties. These properties include closure, associativity, commutativity, existence of identity element, and existence of inverse elements.

2. What is a polynomial of degree 2?

A polynomial of degree 2 is a mathematical expression that consists of a combination of variables, coefficients, and exponents, where the highest exponent is 2. It can be written in the form ax^2 + bx + c, where a, b, and c are constants and x is the variable. Examples include 2x^2 + 5x + 1 and -3x^2 + 2x - 4.

3. How do we determine if a set of polynomials of degree 2 is a vector space?

In order for a set of polynomials of degree 2 to be considered a vector space, it must satisfy all the properties of a vector space. This includes closure under addition and scalar multiplication, commutativity, associativity, existence of identity element and inverse elements, and distributivity. So, we would need to check if these properties hold true for the set of polynomials of degree 2.

4. What are some examples of polynomials of degree 2 that are not in a vector space?

Some examples of polynomials of degree 2 that are not in a vector space include those that do not satisfy the properties of a vector space. For example, a set of polynomials where closure under addition does not hold true (i.e. adding two polynomials does not result in another polynomial of degree 2) would not be considered a vector space.

5. Why is it important to determine if a set of polynomials of degree 2 is a vector space?

Determining if a set of polynomials of degree 2 is a vector space is important because it allows us to understand the properties and behaviors of these polynomials. It also helps us to solve mathematical problems and make mathematical predictions using these polynomials. In addition, recognizing vector spaces is a fundamental concept in linear algebra and is essential in many areas of science and mathematics.