Are the Mean Values of Two Variables Related by a Square Root?

In summary, the conversation discusses two variables, yk and xk, and their respective mean values. The question is whether <y_kx_k^2> is equal to the square root of the product of the means of x^4 and y^2. The conclusion is that they are not equal.
Niles

Homework Statement

Hi all.

Lets say I have two variables yk and xk. I also have two mean values given by:

[tex]
<y_k^2> = \frac{1}{N}\sum_1^N{y_k^2} \quad \text{and} \quad <x_k^4> = \frac{1}{N}\sum_1^N{x_k^4}.
[/tex]

Now I am looking at the expression (<xk4> <yk2>)1/2.

Question: Is it correct that:

[tex]
<y_kx_k^2> = \sqrt{<x_k^4><y_k^2>}.
[/tex]

Personally, I don't think so, because ultimately it would mean that I would have to make two sums into one sum, which I can't.. but I am in doubt.

Thanks in advance.

Niles.

Physics news on Phys.org
Per your notation (< ... >), <yk2> denotes the mean of the squared values of yk.

So <xk4yk2> would be the sum of the products of xk4yk2, divided by N, which is not the same as (<xk4> <yk2>)1/2.
The latter would just be the square root of (the mean of the x^4 terms times the mean of the y^2 terms).

Yeah, just what I thought.. so they are not the same.

Thanks.

Related to Are the Mean Values of Two Variables Related by a Square Root?

1. What is the definition of mean in statistics?

The mean, also known as the average, is a measure of central tendency that represents the typical value of a set of numbers. It is calculated by adding all the values in a dataset and dividing by the total number of values.

2. How is the mean affected by extreme values or outliers?

The mean is sensitive to extreme values or outliers in a dataset. This means that a few very high or very low values can significantly impact the value of the mean, making it not representative of the majority of the data. Therefore, it is important to consider the presence of outliers when interpreting the mean.

3. What is the difference between mean and median?

The median is another measure of central tendency that represents the middle value in a dataset when the values are arranged in ascending or descending order. Unlike the mean, it is not affected by extreme values or outliers. However, it may not be the best measure to use if the data is skewed or has a non-normal distribution.

4. Can the mean be used for categorical data?

No, the mean is a numerical measure and can only be used to describe numerical data. For categorical data, other measures such as mode or proportion are more appropriate.

5. How can the mean be used to compare two or more groups?

The mean can be used to compare the average values of two or more groups. If the mean values of the groups are similar, it suggests that there is no significant difference between the groups. However, if the mean values are significantly different, it indicates that there is a significant difference between the groups.