Are the implications of MWI really this horrifying?

• I
  • Thread starter hungrybear
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Mwi
In summary, the conversation discusses the implications of the many-worlds interpretation of quantum mechanics and how it relates to individuals. Some physicists argue that this theory means all physically possible realities exist and each person will experience the most distressing and painful outcomes. However, others argue that the theory has no observable consequences and there is no need to worry. The concept of "many worlds" also raises questions about the definition of self and whether we should consider our split selves in parallel universes as part of our identity.
Once again excuse my ignorance but what does MWI say about quantum fluctuations in the vacuum, the random appearance and annihilation of pairs of quantum particles? I've struggled to find something for the general reader on this.

Are the fluctuations deterministic in MWI theory? Do they happen differently in different worlds? Or does MWI theory accept these as random?

Physics news on Phys.org
hungrybear said:
Once again excuse my ignorance but what does MWI say about quantum fluctuations in the vacuum, the random appearance and annihilation of pairs of quantum particles? I've struggled to find something for the general reader on this.

Are the fluctuations deterministic in MWI theory? Do they happen differently in different worlds? Or does MWI theory accept these as random?
Professor Neumaier has written several articles on the misconceptions and myth of quantum fluctuations.

https://www.physicsforums.com/insights/misconceptions-virtual-particles/

https://www.physicsforums.com/insights/vacuum-fluctuation-myth/

In short, the fluctuations are not themselves quantum events or interactions; they are a heuristic aid to calculating the amplitudes for real quantum events.

Likes mattt
hungrybear said:
what does MWI say about quantum fluctuations in the vacuum, the random appearance and annihilation of pairs of quantum particles?
This phenomenon (which, as @PeroK has noted, is often misdescribed and misunderstood) does not involve any measurements, so QM interpretations don't really say anything about it.

CoolMint said:
Quantum theory was never relevant to classical computers until the time when tunneling become a problem.
I'm not sure that's true, @CoolMint. As I recall my comp sci history, transistor design - even the first one! - utilised QM. And I know that 'classical' computing is different to a quantum computer, but 'classical' does not mean QM wasn't / isn't needed for semiconductor design.