Are Spinors and the Bloch Sphere Connected through Complex Vector Homomorphism?

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of spinors and their properties. A homomorphism from C^3 to C^2 is used to map isotropic vectors, which are needed to describe the spin of particles in quantum mechanics. Spinors can be equivalent, similar to points on a sphere that are antipodal. These concepts can be confusing at first, but with practice, they can be understood and used effectively in research.
Talisman
So I tried learning about spinors yesterday, and got myself confused. Hopefully someone can tell me if I'm barking up the right tree...

The way they were introduced was by exhibiting a homomorphism from C^3 to C^2 by using the dot product:

(x1, y1, z1) . (x2, y2, z2) = x1*x2 + y1*y2 + z1*z2

Then a C^3 vector can be isotropic or "orthogonal to itself" (v.v = 0), e.g., v = (1, i, 0).

Now we can map isotropic C^3 vectors into C^2, but it's a 1:2 mapping. It seems this has something to do with the Bloch sphere, whose surface can be represented by vectors in C^3, or more simply in C^2.

There seems to be a natural analog in R^3, where I can either specify unit-length vectors or give a "latitude" and "longitude" (R^2). Two things escape me though:

1) In R^3, I'm using unit vectors, whereas in C^3 I'm using isotropic ones.
2) The 2:1 homomorphism should reflect the fact that two C^2 vectors map to the same isotropic C^3 vector, which probably indicates that the former specify unique points, while the latter specify lines -- but I haven't figured out why the C^3 vectors don't specify unique points, as in R^3. That is, antipodal points on the Bloch sphere should have distinct spinors but the same isotropic C^3 vector.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org

Hello there! It's great that you're diving into the world of spinors. They can be a bit confusing at first, but once you understand their properties and applications, they can be incredibly powerful tools in physics and mathematics.

Firstly, your understanding of the homomorphism from C^3 to C^2 is correct. The dot product is used to map isotropic vectors in C^3 to vectors in C^2, and this mapping is indeed 1:2. This is because C^3 is three-dimensional, while C^2 is two-dimensional. This means that for every point in C^2, there are two corresponding points in C^3 that map to it.

To address your first question, the use of isotropic vectors in C^3 is due to the nature of spinors. Spinors are mathematical objects that are used to describe the spin of particles in quantum mechanics. In order to fully describe the spin of a particle, we need to use complex numbers, and thus we use isotropic vectors in C^3. These vectors are also called "spinors" because they are used to represent the spin of a particle.

Regarding your second question, the reason why two C^2 vectors can map to the same isotropic C^3 vector is because of the concept of "spinor equivalence." This means that two spinors that differ by a factor of -1 are considered equivalent. This is similar to how two points on a sphere that are antipodal (opposite sides of the sphere) are considered equivalent. In other words, the spinors may look different, but they represent the same physical quantity.

I hope this helps clarify some of your confusion. Spinors can be a complex topic, but with some practice and understanding, you'll be able to use them confidently in your research. Don't hesitate to ask more questions if you need further clarification. Happy learning!

Related to Are Spinors and the Bloch Sphere Connected through Complex Vector Homomorphism?

1. What are spinors and how are they related to the Bloch sphere?

Spinors are mathematical objects used to describe the quantum state of a particle with spin. They are related to the Bloch sphere, which is a geometric representation of the quantum state of a two-level system, through the concept of spin angular momentum.

2. How do spinors and the Bloch sphere help understand quantum mechanics?

Spinors and the Bloch sphere provide a visual representation of the quantum state of a particle with spin, making it easier to understand and analyze complex quantum systems. They also allow for the prediction and measurement of various quantum phenomena.

3. What is the difference between a spinor and a qubit?

A spinor is a mathematical object used to describe the quantum state of a particle with spin, while a qubit is a physical two-level quantum system that can be represented by a spinor. In other words, a spinor is a mathematical concept, while a qubit is a physical realization of that concept.

4. Can spinors and the Bloch sphere be applied to other quantum systems besides particles with spin?

Yes, spinors and the Bloch sphere can be applied to any two-level quantum system, not just particles with spin. This includes systems such as photons, atoms, and even superconducting circuits.

5. How are spinors and the Bloch sphere used in quantum computing?

In quantum computing, spinors and the Bloch sphere are used to represent and manipulate quantum information, which is encoded in the quantum state of a qubit. They are also used in quantum gates, which are operations that act on qubits and can perform various quantum computations.