Are real nano wires like the ones in Larry Niven?

• Thread starter cybernetichero
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Nano Wires
In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of a material with the strength to cross-section ratio needed for a nano wire, inspired by the depiction of nano wires in Larry Niven's Known Space milieu. The properties of these nano wires are questioned, as they seem to have the ability to cut through objects under their own weight and cause harm to humans. However, the feasibility of such a material is questioned and compared to other impossible technologies posited by Niven. The potential use of carbon nano-tubes as a real-life alternative is also mentioned.
cybernetichero
Hi, this is my VERY FIRST post so if I've made a bundle of noob mistakes accept my pre-emptive mea culpa. I did read and like the rules.
I have seen some stories in Phys.org about nano wires and I immediately thought of the nano wires in Larry Niven Known Space milieu which can cut right through you under their own weight. Is there any truth in his depiction of these materials?

Physics news on Phys.org
Any wire with the properties suggested would be essentially weightless and completely flexible. The inertial problem can be overcome with the little ball they put at the end of it, but the only way to make a theoretical infinitely thin wire straight is to put some tension on it. That can also be done with something that say has the hilt repelling the ball at the end, or some kind of hacksaw arrangement like the cheese cutters they use (a thin wire under high tension that requires almost no force).

Niven is great at positing impossible technologies. Reactionless drives and stasis fields are two, and he doesn't think them all through. A reactionless drive can deliver infinite energy, but nobody seems to use it for that. A stasis field can be used to build a bridge over the ocean with infinite durability and minimal cost, but nobody seems to think of this. The scrith of the ringworld would be far more durable if it was implemented as a Styrofoam ring put in a stasic field.

Is there a real material that has the strength to cross-section ratio needed for the nano wire? Carbon nano-tubes comes to mind and I don't know how thin those can be made.

Likes cybernetichero
Halc said:
Any wire with the properties suggested would be essentially weightless and completely flexible. The inertial problem can be overcome with the little ball they put at the end of it, but the only way to make a theoretical infinitely thin wire straight is to put some tension on it. That can also be done with something that say has the hilt repelling the ball at the end, or some kind of hacksaw arrangement like the cheese cutters they use (a thin wire under high tension that requires almost no force).

Niven is great at positing impossible technologies. Reactionless drives and stasis fields are two, and he doesn't think them all through. A reactionless drive can deliver infinite energy, but nobody seems to use it for that. A stasis field can be used to build a bridge over the ocean with infinite durability and minimal cost, but nobody seems to think of this. The scrith of the ringworld would be far more durable if it was implemented as a Styrofoam ring put in a stasic field.

Is there a real material that has the strength to cross-section ratio needed for the nano wire? Carbon nano-tubes comes to mind and I don't know how thin those can be made.
I was thinking more of a scene in Ringworld (it's been a while so I may be apocryphal) where one of the sun mirrors has been dislodged and long streams of nano wire came drifting "down" onto one of the habitat sections like a barely seen fog. Louis Wu tries to stop local humans touching it but too late, they sever limbs etc. before they realize what has happened.

If it had, without tension, enough inertia to do that to the humans, it would, under its own weight, cut into the landscape and just keep going down. It wouldn't gather in a pile like that. Niven is giving his string the properties he wants selectively, only when it's convenient to the plot.

Likes cybernetichero

1. What are nano wires and how are they different from regular wires?

Nano wires are extremely thin wires with a diameter of only a few nanometers (1 billionth of a meter). They are significantly smaller than regular wires, which typically have a diameter of a few micrometers (1 millionth of a meter). Nano wires also have unique properties due to their size, such as increased surface area and quantum effects.

2. How are nano wires made?

Nano wires can be made using various techniques, such as chemical vapor deposition, electrospinning, and template synthesis. These methods involve the controlled growth of materials at the nanoscale to form long, thin wires.

3. What applications do nano wires have?

Nano wires have a wide range of potential applications, including in electronics, energy storage, and biomedical devices. They can be used as highly efficient conductors, sensors, and catalysts due to their small size and unique properties.

4. Are real nano wires like the ones in Larry Niven?

The nano wires described in Larry Niven's science fiction novels, such as "Ringworld" and "The Integral Trees," are purely fictional and do not exist in real life. However, some of the concepts and properties of these fictional nano wires may inspire real-life research and development in the field of nanotechnology.

5. What are the potential drawbacks or challenges of using nano wires?

One of the main challenges of using nano wires is their fragility. Due to their small size, they can be easily damaged or broken, making it difficult to handle and integrate them into larger systems. There are also concerns about the potential toxicity of certain materials used to make nano wires, which may limit their use in biomedical applications.