Are Private Message Notifications Not Working Properly?

• Thread starter Moonbear
  • Start date
In summary, it seems like there might be a problem with PM notifications not popping up for some people. It's not working for me (at least with Prime), but I've had plenty of
Moonbear
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Is it just me, or has anyone else been having problems with PM notifications not popping up like they're supposed to? It's happening on both my computers, I double-checked my UserCP settings to make sure I didn't accidentally turn it off at some point, and I double-checked that I didn't accidentally block pop-ups in my browser. I have it all set to give me a pop-up notification when I receive a new PM, but I'm not getting the pop-ups for about a week now. I'm just wondering if it's just me, or if anyone else is experiencing this too.

Physics news on Phys.org
Yep, same here. At least since 2-7.

Same here...

Interesting. I would like to know what is up with the mail flood.

Okay, then it seems there's something for Greg to either explain or add to his to-do list. :biggrin:

Greg Bernhardt said:
I reset the option for everyone. Someone test.
Well, send me a PM and I'll tell you if it works! :smile:

It still doesn't work for me (at least with Prime).

I don't like it anyway. So when you set it, let me know because I want to change the option to 'not show pop up window'!

Gokul43201 said:
It still doesn't work for me (at least with Prime).
It's not working in Prime or Nexus for me. I first noticed it when I was using Prime for a while, and thought it was just something about Prime, but it seems to be happening with both skins. And still doesn't seem fixed as of this morning...I've had plenty of PMs to confirm that now.

Nor for me.

Lisa! said:
I don't like it anyway. So when you set it, let me know because I want to change the option to 'not show pop up window'!
You can change that in your UserCP preferences. I like it because otherwise I don't notice very quickly that I have PMs.

Moonbear said:
You can change that in your UserCP preferences. I like it because otherwise I don't notice very quickly that I have PMs.
Yep, I know that!:smile: I just changed the option after upgrading.(before upgrading the number of unread messages written in red simply attracted my attention.)

Lisa! said:
Yep, I know that!:smile: I just changed the option after upgrading.(before upgrading the number of unread messages written in red simply attracted my attention.)
I agree, if they would show up in red like they used to, I wouldn't mind that the pop-ups aren't working...I usually noticed the color change too. It also kept me from forgetting I had a PM waiting if I canceled opening a new message when I got the pop-up to return to it later.

I just noticed the problem too. I had a message from a couple weeks ago that I had no idea about. Checked my settings and they are the same as they used to be but I told it to save changes any way just in case. I tried testing it by sending myself a PM. I didn't get the notification but I was already on the message center page after sending it so I'm not sure if I should have received one or not.

Related to Are Private Message Notifications Not Working Properly?

What are private message notifications?

Private message notifications are alerts that a user receives when they receive a new private message on a messaging platform or app.

How do private message notifications work?

Private message notifications work by sending a push notification or email to the user when they receive a new private message. This allows the user to know when they have a new message without having to constantly check the app or platform.

Can I customize my private message notifications?

Yes, many messaging platforms and apps allow users to customize their private message notifications. Users can usually choose to receive notifications for all messages, only messages from certain contacts, or turn off notifications altogether.

Are private message notifications secure?

Private message notifications are typically secure as they are sent directly to the user's device and are not visible to others. However, it is important for users to make sure their device is locked and secure to prevent others from viewing their private messages through notifications.

Can I turn off private message notifications?

Yes, most messaging platforms and apps allow users to turn off private message notifications if they prefer not to receive them. This can be done through the app or device settings. However, keep in mind that turning off notifications means you will not be alerted when you receive a new private message.