Are Online IQ Tests Accurate? My Experience with Scoring 130

• Thread starter Line
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Iq
In summary, online IQ tests tend to show results around 20 points higher than real IQ tests. However, the accuracy of these tests can vary. Real IQ tests, such as the Weshler and Binet, are more stringent. It is also important to note that IQ is not the only factor in determining success, and hard work and dedication are key components as well. Ultimately, intelligence is subjective and can be measured in different ways.
Line
I've been taking those online IQ tests and I've been wondering if they're accurate. When taking them they all put me at around 130. Is that my realistic IQ?

Physics news on Phys.org
Line said:
I've been taking those online IQ tests and I've been wondering if they're accurate. When taking them they all put me at around 130. Is that my realistic IQ?
The online tests seem to show results around 20 points higher than real IQ tests, from what I've seen. Of course that can vary.

"The online tests seem to show results around 20 points higher than real IQ tests, from what I've seen. Of course that can vary.

That probably explains the 95 score I got.

Line said:

Don't waste your time with IQ tests. They won't be particularly meaningful, particularly if you've taken a lot of them. Unless you're scoring well below average, there's no reason not to pursue whatever goal you might have.

SpaceTiger said:
Don't waste your time with IQ tests. They won't be particularly meaningful, particularly if you've taken a lot of them. Unless you're scoring well below average, there's no reason not to pursue whatever goal you might have.
Exactly. Get a good education.

If you're intention is to find out how you compare to the national population, in relevance of IQ to sucess, your realistic iq is probably most closely related to your sat/act score, iq relating to the intelligence quotient concept. If obtaining a 130 score on an online iq test makes you feel better go ahead and keep taking more of them, it can be fun at times, but don't take it seriously. I can tell you that real iq tests such as weshler and binet are much more stringent.

GCT said:
If you're intention is to find out how you compare to the national population, in relevance of IQ to sucess, your realistic iq is probably most closely related to your sat/act score, iq relating to the intelligence quotient concept. If obtaining a 130 score on an online iq test makes you feel better go ahead and keep taking more of them, it can be fun at times, but don't take it seriously. I can tell you that real iq tests such as weshler and binet are much more stringent.
Maybe the old SAT, but certainly not the new one. They call it a "reasoning" test, but I've seen people raise their scores 400 points by studying. Having taken the test, I found that the math questions were based more on knowledge than reasoning and the critical reading section was no different than reading a newspaper article and responding to questions. The writing section can be disregarded; a 25 minute essay means nothing.

I'd agree with what others said: If you really want to get a good idea of your IQ, take a paper-test. The online ones vary too much. You could always go with not assigning some random number to your potential as well (that's my suggestion).

Where can you take a real IQ test?

haaha if you take an online IQ Test i can tell you your score ... below average =P. There is no reason to fret over knowledge if your unhappy with the knowledge you have than expand your horizons and learn more =). Remember almost anyone can become a doctor if you work hard enough at it. If it takes your 5 weeks to understand a concept and it take the other guy 5 days or someone 5 minutes you all know know the same thing.

Evo said:
The online tests seem to show results around 20 points higher than real IQ tests, from what I've seen. Of course that can vary.

Then again, you have to remember that some of them top out at 140 points... So it is impossible to get more than 140 on some

I had a fairly high IQ score as a young kid, and it got me a bunch of scholarships based on "potential". However I had no good study habits and then flunked out of college and bombed grad school at first too.Ultimately, and after I was a lot dumber, I became more serious and developed solid study habits, and achieved most of the goals that had eluded me as a younger "brighter" ne'er do well.In my subsequent professional career I also observed that many successful people were not particularly bright, but very focused and dedicated to their goals.

Therefore I tend to think that hard work is the key to success, far more important than high IQ or mere talent.

I am not talking about winning Fields medals where both enormous talent and very hard work are needed, but most of us in this game, who are of average intelligence, are pretty much in charge of our own futures, by how hard we work at them.

Is there any real way to measure your intelligence?

Line said:
Is there any real way to measure your intelligence?

Intelligence is subjective when it comes down to it. For example, to me intelligence is logic/understanding math/being able to figure things out/whatever and not memorizing things, which to some people is "intelligence".

mathwonk said:
Therefore I tend to think that hard work is the key to success, far more important than high IQ or mere talent.
Talent is 1% inspiration and 99% perspiration as I always say.

Galileo said:
Talent is 1% inspiration and 99% perspiration as I always say.

Or talent could be 1% ingenuity, and then making somebody else do the other 99% for you... Hey! It worked for scores of dictators...

The possibility of different types of intelligence sure has validity. Some people with ridiculously high IQ can barely function in life, whereas others with very low IQ can be the president of our United States. Go figure. (notice I specified no president. There have been many dumb presidents, and a few really smart ones too.)

apmcavoy said:
Maybe the old SAT, but certainly not the new one. They call it a "reasoning" test, but I've seen people raise their scores 400 points by studying. Having taken the test, I found that the math questions were based more on knowledge than reasoning and the critical reading section was no different than reading a newspaper article and responding to questions. The writing section can be disregarded; a 25 minute essay means nothing.

When did the SAT add a writing section? I took mine in 1998 and don't remember that.

loseyourname said:
When did the SAT add a writing section? I took mine in 1998 and don't remember that.

Last year.

The College Board itself is a bit uncertain regarding the SAT's role and what it determines; most opinions suggest that it should be used to indicate performance in college, but there's debate as to how and to what degree that relates to intelligence. Compounding on this uncertainty, the "SAT" now no longer stands for anything (it was the Scholastic Aptitude Test, but no more).

The conversation on intelligence here has centered on mostly Western forms, but obviously other societies emphasize different skills and mental capabilities among their citizens. It seems Western education has been rigorously structured towards test-taking and results, almost to the point where the label of "intelligent" follows from doing well on an AP test or something like that (basically, it's not like you need to score high on an IQ test or an SAT to be regarded highly; the enormous amount of tests we have these days dilute our perception of intelligence).

My humble advice: Don't give too much of a damn about your IQ. Develop your mind through reading, writing, crossword puzzles, and other similar activities.

Yeah I just don't like the idea of assigning one number to a person's intelligence. The idea of multiple intelligences is more credible: verbal, mathematical, interpersonal, intrapersonal, visual/spatial, musical, and bodily/kinesthetic.

there may be a correlation between IQ of presidents and harm done however. Hopefully the electorate will learn this point at some time in the future. I.e. an imbecile has more difficulty managing the country than in merely persuading other imbeciles to vote for him/her. Notice I did not name any actual presidents, and encourage each reader to fill in the blanks with his fave.

Line said:
It is not.

The real question is why are so concerned about IQ?.Did you recently have an accident to the head?. Do you feel you do not measure up to your peers academically?. My true advice is just work as hard as you can and learn everything you need and want too and you will be ahead the game.

It really isn't the smartest person that wins it's the one who is nuts enough to become a workaholic.

Related to Are Online IQ Tests Accurate? My Experience with Scoring 130

1. Are online IQ tests reliable?

It is difficult to determine the reliability of online IQ tests as they vary in their design and accuracy. Some may be more reliable than others, but it is important to remember that these tests are not standardized and may not have been properly tested or validated.

2. Can online IQ tests accurately measure intelligence?

While online IQ tests may provide a general idea of a person's intelligence, they cannot accurately measure it. Intelligence is a complex concept that cannot be fully captured by a single test, and online IQ tests often have limited scope and may not accurately reflect a person's true abilities.

3. How do online IQ tests compare to traditional IQ tests?

Online IQ tests are not standardized or regulated like traditional IQ tests, which makes it difficult to compare them. Traditional IQ tests are typically administered by trained professionals and have been extensively researched and validated, making them more reliable than online tests.

4. Are high scores on online IQ tests indicative of high intelligence?

Not necessarily. High scores on online IQ tests may indicate a person's ability to perform well on that particular test, but they do not necessarily reflect a person's overall intelligence. It is important to remember that intelligence encompasses many different aspects and cannot be accurately measured by a single test.

5. Should I rely on my online IQ test score?

No, it is not recommended to rely solely on an online IQ test score. These tests are not standardized or regulated, and their results may not be accurate or reliable. It is important to remember that intelligence is a complex concept and cannot be accurately measured by a single test.