Are Math Competitions More About Tricks or Problem Solving?

• Thread starter shadowboy13
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the nature of math competitions and how they differ from each other. The speaker expresses their curiosity about the mechanical aspect of MATHCOUNTS and how it discourages them from participating. They also mention the USAMO as a more challenging and problem-solving focused competition. Overall, there are different types of math competitions with varying levels of difficulty and emphasis on problem solving.
shadowboy13
I'm honestly curious regarding this.

Now i don't mean to take away from these kids accomplishments, but i had a different idea of math competitions,this feels...very mechanical, almost as though they know the answers before even fully reading them, giving of a vibe of a machine processing commands.

Now granted, i haven't ever done a math competition before, but i was given the impression that they were about tricks,yes, but also about problem solving, i see nothing of the latter here.

It really discourages me from attempting one, given that one of the draws (for me atleast) was the problem solving that was entailed in these competitions seems not to exist here.

Are all math competitions like this or do they differ?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
In short; they differ.

MATHCOUNTS is a more of a childish competition.
See this video for an international competition :
Basically, anyone can take the AMC test which is the first step of the process. It is 25 questions, 75 minutes, and you need ~20 to move on.
Next, is the 15 question 3 hour AIME exam. Adding AMC+10*AIME gives your index, which may or may not qualify you for the proof based USAMO. The USAMO helps select people for the MOSP camp, which narrows down a team of 6 americans to compete.
Very hard competition.About mathcounts: yes, many questions involve tricks. I don't know what you mean by replying fast, since there were many easy questions which the contestants took a while to answer. I competed in 2012 and can tell you that the countdown round is more about being calm and thinking straight. When you're sitting there with 10000000000 people watching you-it's quite nerve racking. Unfortunately, I didn't win, but came very close.
You are right in the sense that it's very mechanical. I trained for 3 hours each day for the past 3 years before I could make it up on stage. After that training, you can easily spot the tricks in the questions. However that doesn't mean there's no problem solving!

If you're looking for a problem solving competition, try the USAMO. That's very difficult and draws the best mathletes in the country.

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to Are Math Competitions More About Tricks or Problem Solving?

What are math competitions?

Math competitions are events where students can showcase their mathematical skills and knowledge by participating in challenging and competitive math problems.

Who can participate in math competitions?

Typically, math competitions are open to students of all ages, from elementary school to high school. Some competitions may have specific age or grade requirements.

What are the benefits of participating in math competitions?

Participating in math competitions can help students improve their problem-solving skills, critical thinking abilities, and mathematical knowledge. It can also boost their confidence and provide opportunities for recognition and scholarships.

How can I prepare for a math competition?

To prepare for a math competition, students should practice solving a variety of math problems, review important concepts and formulas, and familiarize themselves with the format and rules of the competition.

What are some popular math competitions?

Some popular math competitions include the Math Olympiad, MathCounts, American Mathematics Competitions (AMC), and International Mathematical Olympiad (IMO). There are also regional and local math competitions that students can participate in.