Are Magnetic Anomalies the Cause of Black Hole Eruptions?

In summary: No, but roughly as probable as ET landing in your back yard and Elvis jumping out. There is clearly a very large amount of mass centered on the location of suspected black holes.
wolram
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
That is the question real, how well do we understand the properties
of BHs, AFAIK observations are based on the effect they have on there
surroundings, and no one has actually observed an event horizon.
Given that something creates massive disturbances in the center of
galaxies, has everything other than BHs been ruled out?
and is the loss of information an bothersome part of BH theory?

Astronomy news on Phys.org
wolram said:
surroundings, and no one has actually observed an event horizon.
Given that something creates massive disturbances in the center of
galaxies, has everything other than BHs been ruled out?

Everything else that can be predicted by standard physical theory has been ruled out, as far as I know. If black holes don't exist, it's likely because a modification to GR is required in the strong field limit.

BY Space Tiger
Everything else that can be predicted by standard physical theory has been ruled out, as far as I know. If black holes don't exist, it's likely because a modification to GR is required in the strong field limit.

So even though we have observational evidence of some high energy
events in the center of galaxies, it is possible that they are not caused
by BHs if GR is in error?

wolram said:
So even though we have observational evidence of some high energy
events in the center of galaxies, it is possible that they are not caused
by BHs if GR is in error?

That's right. I'm sure many of my colleagues would tell you that black holes are all but proven to exist, but I still share a bit of Einstein's skepticism on the validity of his theory in that regime. Nonetheless, something interesting is going on in those regions and my guess is that it can at least be approximated by a black hole at reasonable distances. I would be more willing to trust the black hole idea once we have more rigorous tests of GR in the strong field limit.

By Space tiger
That's right. I'm sure many of my colleagues would tell you that black holes are all but proven to exist, but I still share a bit of Einstein's skepticism on the validity of his theory in that regime. Nonetheless, something interesting is going on in those regions and my guess is that it can at least be approximated by a black hole at reasonable distances. I would be more willing to trust the black hole idea once we have more rigorous tests of GR in the strong field limit.

So would it be beyond the bounds of possibilities that these eruptions are
caused by magnetic anomalies?

wolram said:
So would it be beyond the bounds of possibilities that these eruptions are caused by magnetic anomalies?
No, but roughly as probable as ET landing in your back yard and Elvis jumping out. There is clearly a very large amount of mass centered on the location of suspected black holes.

Related to Are Magnetic Anomalies the Cause of Black Hole Eruptions?

1. What exactly is a black hole?

A black hole is a region in space where the gravitational pull is so strong that nothing, including light, can escape from it. It is formed when a massive star dies and its core collapses in on itself.

2. How are black holes detected?

Black holes cannot be directly observed since no light can escape from them. Instead, scientists use indirect methods such as observing the effects of their gravitational pull on nearby objects or detecting radiation emitted from matter falling into the black hole.

3. Can anything escape from a black hole?

Once something crosses the event horizon (the point of no return) of a black hole, it cannot escape. However, objects that are far enough away from the black hole and are traveling at a high enough velocity can escape its gravitational pull.

4. Are black holes dangerous to Earth?

No, black holes that are far away from Earth do not pose any danger to us. The nearest black hole, known as V616 Monocerotis, is over 3,000 light years away.

5. What happens if you fall into a black hole?

If you were to fall into a black hole, you would experience something called "spaghettification" where the strong gravitational pull stretches your body into long, thin strands. Eventually, you would reach the singularity at the center of the black hole, where the laws of physics break down and we do not know what would happen.