Are Logical Fallacies Making You Wrong More Than You Think?

• Thread starter Andre
  • Start date
In summary: We're Hard-Wired to Have a Double StandardWhen we have a strong opinion or belief, it's very difficult to change that perspective, even if the evidence disagrees with our original belief. This is because we're hard-wired to have a double standard - we'll only accept evidence that supports our original belief, even if that evidence is circumstantial.#3. We Think Everyone's Out to Get UsThis is a dangerous mindset, and one that can lead to paranoia and mistrust. We're also hard-wired to see threats everywhere, and to overreact to them. This can lead to irrational decisions, and even violence.
So what's the bottom line here? Am I allowed to do any more spoofs?

Physics news on Phys.org
Jimmy Snyder said:
So what's the bottom line here? Am I allowed to do any more spoofs?
How can you worry about spoofs when there are problems like this in the world:

PRINCETON, NJ—According to a new report published this week, researchers at Princeton University and the Institute for Advanced Study have definitively concluded that it—all of it—is some kind of sick joke.

The comprehensive study, which carefully analyzed fields as varied as physics, theology, history, economics, sociology, and philosophy, is said to have found overwhelming evidence that it is all just one big sham specifically designed to humiliate us and cause us as much misery as possible.

"The results are clear and irrefutable: Everything from the unfathomable expanses of the universe to our own continuously deteriorating bodies is apparently nothing more than an elaborate and perverse joke that's being perpetrated on us repeatedly and entirely against our will," said Faisal Ahmed, a quantum physicist and lead author of the paper. "Furthermore, research suggests there's not a single goddamned thing we can do about it."
http://www.theonion.com/articles/report-it-all-some-kind-of-sick-joke,26592/

zoobyshoe said:
So what? If I say "red" and you misinterpret that to mean "blue", it doesn't change the meaning of the word "red".

Never heard of the theory of Relativity I take it. A thing can be both red and blue simultaneously depending on our relative velocities. Words only have demonstrable meaning according to their function in specific contexts allowing their meaning to likewise be relative to the observer. A Martian's eyes might perceive what we call red as blue. They could then learn to call what they see as blue "red" when speaking English and it's possible nobody would ever suspect they don't see the same color we do. At any rate, I'll have to go with what is demonstrable rather than make unfounded assumptions about words having some sort of absolute meaning.

Last edited:
Although the discussion of humor has been enlightening, this thread has gone way off topic.