Are implicit and partial differentiations related?

In summary, the speaker noticed that in two superficially related problems, manipulating the partial and implicit derivatives resulted in a negative sign. They question if this is a general occurrence and if there is a link between implicit and partial differentiation. The speaker suggests trying a different function to test this theory.
nomadreid
Gold Member
I was working two different but superficially related problems, and noticed that if I did something that is generally not allowed, the results were connected by a negative sign. My questions are whether this will always turn out this way, and if so, why.
The two problems were

(A) implicit differentiation: given f(x, y(x)) = f(x,y) =(x^3)(y^2) = c for a constant c, then dy/dx = -3y/2x
(B) partial differentiation: given f(x,y) =z=(x^3)(y^2) , then δf/δx = 3(x^2)(y^2) & δf/δy =2(x^3)y so doing something that is not allowed, (δf/δx)/(δf/δy) = δy/δx = 3y/2x.

Coincidence, or can this be generalized (that dy/dx = the negative of working with the partial derivatives in this way), and the sloppiness justified? [My own impression is that it shouldn't be, but perhaps there is some better link between implicit and partial differentiations that someone can point out.]

Physics news on Phys.org
For partial differentiation the x and y are independent variables, but for the example you've shown y is dependent on x.

Why not try another function like f(x,y)=sin(x^2 + y^2) and see if it holds up?

right you are, jedishrfu. Thanks.

Related to Are implicit and partial differentiations related?

1. Are implicit and partial differentiations the same thing?

No, they are not the same thing. Implicit differentiation is used to find the derivative of an implicit function, while partial differentiation is used to find the derivative of a function with multiple variables.

2. When should I use implicit differentiation versus partial differentiation?

Implicit differentiation should be used when the function is not explicitly defined in terms of a single variable. Partial differentiation should be used when the function has multiple variables.

3. How are implicit and partial differentiations related?

Implicit differentiation can be thought of as a special case of partial differentiation, where one of the variables is treated as a constant. In both cases, the derivative is found by treating the other variables as constants.

4. Can both implicit and partial differentiation be used to find higher order derivatives?

Yes, both methods can be used to find higher order derivatives. Implicit differentiation can be used to find higher order derivatives of implicit functions, while partial differentiation can be used to find higher order derivatives of functions with multiple variables.

5. Are implicit and partial differentiations important in real-world applications?

Yes, both implicit and partial differentiations are important in various fields of science and engineering, such as physics, economics, and engineering. They are used to model and understand complex systems and make predictions about their behavior.