Are Hydrogen and Chlorine Gases at the Same Temperature in a Mixed Container?

In summary, the conversation discusses a mixture of hydrogen and chlorine molecules in a container and the need to compare the temperature and average kinetic energy of the molecules without performing calculations. The question is whether to use the formula T=PV/nR for each gas or assume the temperature is the same since they are in the same container. The suggested formula for kinetic energy is Ek = .5mv^2, but the velocity of the molecules is unknown. The conversation also mentions the possibility of posting chemistry problems on a different forum.
Jchem
Ok there is a mixture of hydrogen and chlorine molecules in a container.

I need to compare a)the temperature of each gas, and b)the average kinetic energy of the molecules

without doing any calculations.

a) I'm not sure I should answer with T=PV/nR for each one or whether i should just assume that the temperature is the same for both since they are in the same container.

b) from my physics course, I believe this is just Ek = .5mv^2
but I'm not sure how to compare, since I don't know the velocity of the molecules?

any ideas?

Physics news on Phys.org
also is it ok to post chemistry problems on this board? :shy:

There is a place in other science right under engineering but
If you need a better chemistry site go her and go to beginners for your question
http://www.sciencemadness.org/talk/index.php

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to Are Hydrogen and Chlorine Gases at the Same Temperature in a Mixed Container?

1. What is the difference between an element and a compound?

An element is a pure substance made up of only one type of atom, while a compound is a substance made up of two or more different elements chemically bonded together.

2. How are atoms and molecules related?

Atoms are the building blocks of molecules. Molecules are formed when two or more atoms chemically bond together.

3. What is the difference between a physical change and a chemical change?

A physical change is a change in the physical properties of a substance, such as its shape or state, while a chemical change is a change in the chemical makeup of a substance, resulting in the formation of a new substance.

4. What is the difference between an acid and a base?

An acid is a substance that donates hydrogen ions and has a pH less than 7, while a base is a substance that accepts hydrogen ions and has a pH greater than 7. Acids also typically have a sour taste, while bases have a bitter taste.

5. What is the importance of balancing chemical equations?

Balancing chemical equations is important because it ensures that the same number of atoms of each element are present on both sides of the equation. This follows the law of conservation of mass, which states that matter cannot be created or destroyed in a chemical reaction.