Change in temperature when a gas is in a moving container

In summary, when a train suddenly stops, the gas inside of the container experiences a 1/2mv^2 increase in kinetic energy, which causes an increase in internal energy.
Krushnaraj Pandya
Gold Member

Homework Statement

Some gas at 300K is enclosed in a container. Now the container is placed on a fast moving train.is the change in temperature of the gas the same as the change dT observed when train suddenly stops?

Homework Equations

1/2mv^2=dU?? or dU=0??

The Attempt at a Solution

intuitively, there is no change in relative velocity of molecules anyhwere so dT=0 everywhere. But according to my high school textbook, when train suddenly stops- ordered kinetic energy changes to disordered kinetic energy therefore raising internal energy by 1/2mv^2

Physics news on Phys.org
Krushnaraj Pandya said:
intuitively, there is no change in relative velocity of molecules anyhwere so dT=0 everywhere
Consider what happens to the molecules when the container moves relative to them. They will hit one side, on average, faster than against the other. The rebounds will be faster, then they will strike other molecules, and pretty soon the extra KE will be in every direction.

So the temperature and internal energy changes when the train moves with a velocity or suddenly stops?? What's got me confused is that in a lot of places including the book 'Concepts of Physics by HC Verma' it says that since it is bulk motion of gas, there is no change in internal energy and therefore temperature change is zero. I read a similar conclusion on a previous forum answered by 'phinds' and 'haruspex' (I can't find the link right now). so which one to consider? Also, if the starting or stopping of train was gradual-would the temperature change be negligible as the inertial forces would be very small??

Krushnaraj Pandya said:
So the temperature and internal energy changes when the train moves with a velocity or suddenly stops?? What's got me confused is that in a lot of places including the book 'Concepts of Physics by HC Verma' it says that since it is bulk motion of gas, there is no change in internal energy and therefore temperature change is zero. I read a similar conclusion on a previous forum answered by 'phinds' and 'haruspex' (I can't find the link right now). so which one to consider? Also, if the starting or stopping of train was gradual-would the temperature change be negligible as the inertial forces would be very small??
I suspect it depends on how sudden the change in speed is. If a moving box is gradually brought to rest then the gas exerts a greater pressure against the leading face than against the trailing, so does work on the box.
In the case of a sudden stop from velocity v it is clear that ½mv2 gets added to the internal energy, where m is the mass of the gas.
We can run this in reverse, e.g. by using a frame of reference moving at velocity v. In this frame, the box is suddenly jerked from rest to moving at velocity v. The internal energy should be the same in both frames, therefore accelerating the box to velocity v added ½mv2 to the internal energy and another ½mv2 to the bulk KE. Thus, it takes more work to accelerate a box of gas than to accelerate the same mass of a solid.
This should not surprise. It is akin to an inelastic collision. We can simplify it to a single molecule bouncing back and forth parallel to the added velocity. If the box has mass M and the molecule mass m and we set the box moving at speed v then by conservation of momentum the bulk speed attained by the system is v' where (M+m)v'=Mv. The new KE is less than the original KE (½Mv2) by ##\frac{Mmv^2}{2(M+m)}##. For M>>m this reduces to ½mv2. Therefore the work done to accelerate the molecule was mv2.

@Chestermiller , does that sound ok to you?

@haruspex Is this akin to a vertical column of gas in a gravitational field.
In essence the gas is continuously accelerating, and AFAIK the gas does not increase in temperature overall over time.
There is a pressure differential and I suppose a dT due to that from end to end, but constant.
A box of gas changing velocity should experience a cooler end and a hotter end during the process.

256bits said:
@haruspex Is this akin to a vertical column of gas in a gravitational field.
In essence the gas is continuously accelerating, and AFAIK the gas does not increase in temperature overall over time.
There is a pressure differential and I suppose a dT due to that from end to end, but constant.
A box of gas changing velocity should experience a cooler end and a hotter end during the process.
That's uniform acceleration. The steady state for that would be a pressure gradient but a uniform temperature. In a sudden stop or start it is not steady state.

That seems about right. I think I can solve this question now as per the context given in any future tests, thanks a lot :)

Related to Change in temperature when a gas is in a moving container

1. How does the temperature of a gas change when it is in a moving container?

The temperature of a gas will increase when it is in a moving container due to the kinetic energy of the gas molecules increasing as a result of their movement.

2. Why does the temperature of a gas increase in a moving container?

The temperature of a gas increases in a moving container because of the gas molecules colliding with the walls of the container and transferring their kinetic energy, leading to an overall increase in temperature.

3. Does the temperature of a gas always increase in a moving container?

No, the temperature of a gas can also decrease in a moving container if the container is cooled, or if the gas is expanding and performing work, causing a decrease in kinetic energy and therefore a decrease in temperature.

4. How does the speed of the container affect the change in temperature of the gas?

The speed of the container has a direct impact on the change in temperature of the gas. The faster the container moves, the greater the kinetic energy of the gas molecules, resulting in a larger increase in temperature.

5. Is there a way to calculate the change in temperature of a gas in a moving container?

Yes, the change in temperature of a gas in a moving container can be calculated using the ideal gas law, which takes into account factors such as pressure, volume, and number of moles of gas. Other factors such as the speed and direction of the container's movement may also need to be considered.