Are First and Second Derivative Calculations for |x-a| - |x+a| Correct?

• Thread starter lavenderblue
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Derivatives
In summary, the conversation discussed finding the first and second derivatives of a function and representing them graphically. The first derivative was determined to be sign(x-a)-sign(x+a) and the second derivative as 2(delta)(x-a)-2(delta)(x+a). Using a piecewise definition, the function can be rewritten without absolute values and a graph can be used to represent it schematically.
lavenderblue
Hey

I have been asked to find the first and second derivatives of lx-al-lx+al

I have, for the first derivative got, sign(x-a)-sign(x+a)

and for the second, i have: 2(delta)(x-a)-2(delta)(x+a)

am i right in both cases?

I also have to draw them 'schematically' how do i do this?

Physics news on Phys.org
lavenderblue said:
Hey

I have been asked to find the first and second derivatives of lx-al-lx+al

I have, for the first derivative got, sign(x-a)-sign(x+a)

and for the second, i have: 2(delta)(x-a)-2(delta)(x+a)

am i right in both cases?

I also have to draw them 'schematically' how do i do this?

You can rewrite your function formula without the absolution values, using a piecewise definition on three intervals: (-inf, -a], (-a, a] and (a, inf).

For example, if x <= -a, |x - a| - |x + a| = -(x - a) - (-(x + a)) = -x + a + x +a = 2a.
Do the same for the other two intervals.

I don't know what "drawing them schematically" means, but a graph of the function would probably suffice.

Related to Are First and Second Derivative Calculations for |x-a| - |x+a| Correct?

What is the definition of a first derivative?

A first derivative is the rate of change of a function at a specific point. It represents the slope of the tangent line to the function at that point.

How do you find the first derivative of a function?

To find the first derivative, you can use the power rule, product rule, quotient rule, or chain rule, depending on the form of the function. These rules involve taking the derivative of each term in the function and combining them using the appropriate rule.

What is the geometric interpretation of the first derivative?

The first derivative represents the slope of the tangent line to a function at a specific point. Geometrically, it represents the steepness of the curve at that point and the direction in which the curve is heading.

What is the meaning of a second derivative?

The second derivative is the derivative of the first derivative. It represents the rate of change of the first derivative, or the rate of change of the slope of the tangent line. It can also indicate the concavity of a function at a specific point.

Why are first and second derivatives important in science?

First and second derivatives are essential in science because they allow us to analyze the behavior of functions and understand how they change over time. They are used in many scientific fields, including physics, chemistry, and economics, to model and predict real-world phenomena.