Are Bobs Really the Nicest Guys? Debunking the Theory of No Evil Bobs

• Thread starter Math Is Hard
  • Start date
In summary: Bob."In summary, the conversation discussed the theory that there are no evil Bobs due to their good-natured nature and lack of infamy associated with the name. However, examples of evil Bobs were brought up, including fictional characters and personal experiences. The conversation also touched on the reputation of Bobs being honest and accomplished, but not typically being associated with presidential positions. The existence of a Bob Club was also mentioned, highlighting the good-natured and easy-going nature of Bobs.
Moonbear said:
Now I'm really wondering here...I had a great-uncle who my grandmother and grandfather used to call Bob-a-loo, but his name was Alexander. :confused: I always figured it was some mean childhood nickname that my grandmother called him and he got stuck with. He was a nice guy too though, at least to the extent he could be, so maybe the Bob-ness rubbed off. He had pretty severe Parkinson's, so couldn't talk well or do much, but once in a while would do something really nice, totally out of the blue for his grand-nieces and nephews. Like he'd send us all money for Easter outfits so we could have something really special to wear (he couldn't pick them out or go shopping with us, but he could give us the money and tell us that's what we were supposed to use it for so our parents couldn't make us put it all in the bank like they usually did when we got money as a gift). :approve:
He sounds like a helluva nice guy. Exactly what I would expect from a Bob. :smile:

I wonder what BobG, The Bob, and Bobster think of this thread? I thought for sure they would have some comments.

Physics news on Phys.org
brewnog said:
And Dick, Phil and Roger too. :smile:
Need giggling and blushing smiley here. :redface: :biggrin: :redface: :biggrin: :redface:

OMG! this thread just said 36 replies and 360 views, but I ruined it by making this post!

Math Is Hard said:
He sounds like a helluva nice guy. Exactly what I would expect from a Bob. :smile:

I wonder what BobG, The Bob, and Bobster think of this thread? I thought for sure they would have some comments.
Well, being nice Bob's, they are too humble to come in here and talk about themselves. :biggrin:

Moonbear said:
Well, being nice Bob's, they are too humble to come in here and talk about themselves. :biggrin:
Good point! I never thought about it that way.

Ack...I seem to have apostrophe-itis lately! :eek: I keep sticking apostrophes into plural words! My pinky must be getting bored while I'm typing and causing mischief. :smile:

moonbear's shouldn't have's eccesive apostophe's.

you like bob saget? you crazy person!

even for a PFer, that's crazy!

That's funny really. A quick check produced only one news story about a Bob convicted of murder, and he went by Bobby.

Note that I didn't find any stories about a priest named Spike either. :confused: Strange. Father Spike has a nice ring to it.

who's Bob Saget?

Bob Saget is the host of america's funniest home videos. the viseos would actually be funny, if hee didn't dub the voices and sounds over with his crap. and his jokes, don't get me started! "I just skatd into the studio, boy are my legs tired!" (yes, that was a real one of his jokes) And you can tell his show has a laugh track because there's always this one lady that you can hear in the background.

o, he was on "Half Baked."

I don't get it :confused:

Funny, but I noticed this about Saget. I think he was stuck or hated what he was doing. To me he looked and acted like a very unhappy person. In fact, it was almost as if he was trying to be so bad that they would finally let him go. Maybe he wanted out of his contract. Or, maybe he was a very frustrated actor... there was something going on.

no evil Bobs? are you NUTS?

ever heard of TWIN PEAKS?

Bob is one of the most nightmarish/evil/sick/scary beings in the universe! probably one of the scariest/most evil characters in film/TV/literature!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bob_%28Twin_Peaks%29

Last edited:
setAI said:

Bob is one of the most nightmarish/evil/sick/scary beings in the universe! probably one of the scariest/most evil characters in film/TV/literature!

I had completely forgotten about that!

What about the dancing dwarf? That was pretty scary.

setAI said:

hmm...I never saw that series. That may have a lot to do with my lack of evil Bob associations. Was Bob also in the Twin Peaks movie? because I think I did see that.

ok, but still, that's a fictional Bob. I so far have only one real-life report of an evil Bob. It's just a tiny speck of noise in my otherwise consistent data. And I'm not so sure that particular "Bob" was even a Bob at all - there may be some explanation. :approve:

I can't believe I haven't been locked up in TD yet. :biggrin:

Moonbear said:
I would have to ruin it, wouldn't I? :biggrin:

Math Is Hard said:

It is a strange thread. I can't say I saw it until today but I think there are some evil Bobs putting shame on the rest of us. Ohhh the shame :cry: oh the shame :cry: I have ruined the humbleness as well :cry: :cry: :cry: oh dear.

The Bob (2004 ©)

P.S. Forgive me Moonbear, :cry: forgive me BobG, :cry: forgive me Bobster? we have a Bobster?? :eek: Wow. Well forgive me as well.

The Bob, have you always been a Bob, or did you ever go by Robert or Bobby?
Who decided this - I mean, did you decide you wanted to go by Bob or did your parents just always call you Bob? Just curious.

And what prompted you to put a "The" in front of it for your PF name? Are you the standard by which other Bobs should be measured? :biggrin:

I think we could say catch-bob instead of catch-22!

It is true, there are no evil bobs. Here in the Netherlands when you go out in a group, Bob will sacrifice himself and not drink all night so that he can drive everyone home safely. I know that in Belgium you also have Bobs who stay sober on nights out :biggrin: When I get my driving license, I'd like to be Bob for a night :approve:

Monique said:
It is true, there are no evil bobs. Here in the Netherlands when you go out in a group, Bob will sacrifice himself and not drink all night so that he can drive everyone home safely. I know that in Belgium you also have Bobs who stay sober on nights out :biggrin: When I get my driving license, I'd like to be Bob for a night :approve:
oooohhh, yeah - ok, now it's coming back to me. You told us one time about some kind of a designated driver campaign involving the name "BOB". I completely forgot about that!

gonpost said:
I once knew an evil Bob...

He hit his children...my mother never even knew it...

But he's gone now. :)

Math Is Hard said:
Thank you. I appreciate your being so candid. This is the stuff that could dismantle my theory. I can't help but wonder how others perceived him, even though you knew the truth about him.

I bet he (the guy claiming to be a Bob) lied about his name.

zoobyshoe said:
Yes, but think about it. What's "Boob" spelled backward?
Tit? :biggrin:

:rolleyes: I'm going to get in trouble, aren't I?

Artman said:
Tit? :biggrin:

:rolleyes: I'm going to get in trouble, aren't I?
That reminds me, go over and look at my watermelons in the "happy" thread. I think you'll like them. :smile:

Math Is Hard said:
That reminds me, go over and look at my watermelons in the "happy" thread. I think you'll like them. :smile:
LINK! Gee, the time I take in searching for these things I could save with an occassional link!

Math Is Hard said:
The Bob, have you always been a Bob, or did you ever go by Robert or Bobby?
Who decided this - I mean, did you decide you wanted to go by Bob or did your parents just always call you Bob? Just curious.

And what prompted you to put a "The" in front of it for your PF name? Are you the standard by which other Bobs should be measured? :biggrin:
I only go by Bob on the internet. My parents call me Robert, my friends call me Rob or something with Rob in it but The Bob is for the internet.

I decided to use Bob instead of Rob because it sounds funnier, more professional and also it is a palindrome. The 'The' part is there to define myself as the one and only Bob. The true Bob. Thus, The Bob. Of course I am not the only one but it does allow me to say:

'A Bob is a sparrow. The Bob is a sparrowhawk'. :smile:

The Bob (2004 ©)

P.S. Wow. 15 Bobs in this post alone. Now 16. Hehe :biggrin:

robphy said:
We have a winner: serial killer Bob Berdella.

Unquestionably a Bob (as opposed to a Robert) as referenced here:
http://www.thoughtpeach.com/archives/000406.html
Berdella "was the 39-year old owner of Bob's Bizarre Bazaar in Kansas City, a downtown novelty shop that specialized in lava lamps, replica skulls, incense, and other kinds of supplies that would appeal to potheads and weekend Satanists."
Truly an evil, evil Bob.

and so ends my theory.

Math Is Hard said:
We have a winner: serial killer Bob Berdella.

Unquestionably a Bob (as opposed to a Robert) as referenced here:
http://www.thoughtpeach.com/archives/000406.html
Truly an evil, evil Bob.

and so ends my theory.
He was obviously insane though. Perhaps he was a Robert trapped in a Bob's name?

By the way, I was not being impatient about just not having a link above, but when a woman says she has posted photos of her mellons... :-p :biggrin:

Math Is Hard said:
I have this theory that there are no evil Bobs. I base this on the fact that I never met a Bob I didn’t like. Historically, the name Bob does not lend itself to infamy. There are no “Bob the Rippers”, no “Bob the Impalers”, etc.

This is not to suggest that there are no evil Roberts. I’ve known a few. But Bobs are special. Bobs are an extremely good-natured subset of Roberts, and I have never known a Bob that was the slightest bit evil in nature. I have discovered that I actually have a Bob bias. In fact, when choosing a professor, I'll seek out the ones named Robert and if I can find out that he goes by Bob, I'll sign up for the course immediately.

So prove me wrong. Post your evil Bob stories here. :devil:

What about Beelzebob?

:smile:

The Rev

No, he's a total bub.