Are a and b spacelike, timelike, or null?

In summary, according to the book, the length of a four vector is the absolute value of the space-time difference between its tail and tip. Four vectors that are spacelike have a tail and tip separation that is spacelike, timelike vectors have a separation that is timelike, and null vectors have null separation (length zero.) To tell the difference between timelike and spacelike vectors, one must have a positive scalar product and the other a negative one. The only thing that makes a little sense is that one has a positive scalar product and the other a negative one, but how can one use this to understand both vectors? In summary, spacetime intervals can be used to calculate the length of
ope211
Hello! I am working on homework for my general relativity class, and I am very confused about how to tell the difference between spacelike, timelike, and null vectors, and the book is very unhelpful.

Relevant equations
Consider two four vectors a and b whose components are given by:
a^α=(-2, 0, 0, 1)
b^α=(5, 0, 3, 4)

The attempt at a solution

The book says: The length of a four vector is the absolute value of the space-time difference between its tail and tip. Four vectors that are spacelike have a tail and tip separation that is spacelike, timelike vectors have a separation that is timelike, and null vectors have null separation (length zero.)

I think I can rule out that these vectors are null, since they don't have length zero, but how do I tell the difference between timelike and spacelike vectors? As you can see, the book is extremely unhelpful and I've looked all over for examples but I can't find any. The only thing I found that makes a little sense is that one has a positive scalar product and the other a negative one, but how can I use this to understand both vectors?

I feel like this is a dumb question, but I hope you guys can help!

Physics news on Phys.org
Hello and welcome to PF!

Which of the four components refers to the time component, the first or the last?

Can you show us explicitly how you would calculate the length of each of your vectors?

Hello,
Unfortunately the problem itself doesn't say, but the book's convention seems to be (t, x, y, z)

I calculate the length as |a|=sqrt((-2)^2+0+0+1^2)=sqrt(5)
and |b|=sqrt(5^2+0+3^2+4^2)=sqrt(50)

Another thing I was confused about was what it meant by "The length of a four vector is the absolute value of the space-time difference between its tail and tip," so I calculated it the way I would for any vector. Is it possible this is my problem?

Lengths of four vectors in (flat) spacetime are calculated differently than the length of a vector in Euclidean space. When calculating the length (or square of the length) of a four vector, the time component is treated differently than the spatial components. However, different texts use different sign conventions when defining the square of the length of a four vector. Check your textbook or notes for the sign convention that you are using. Often the term "spacetime interval" is used for the square of the "distance" between two points in spacetime.

TSny said:
Lengths of four vectors in (flat) spacetime are calculated differently than the length of a vector in Euclidean space. When calculating the length (or square of the length) of a four vector, the time component is treated differently than the spatial components. However, different texts use different sign conventions when defining the square of the length of a four vector. Check your textbook or notes for the sign convention that you are using. Often the term "spacetime interval" is used for the square of the "distance" between two points in spacetime.

I thought this might be true! I may just have to wait and see if my professor covers it in the lecture, because for the life of me I can't find anything else on the topic in the book and no examples anywhere else. I appreciate the help!

Related to Are a and b spacelike, timelike, or null?

1. Are spacelike, timelike, and null dimensions related to the concept of spacetime?

Yes, spacelike, timelike, and null dimensions are all related to the concept of spacetime. Spacetime is a four-dimensional manifold that combines the three dimensions of space with the dimension of time. Spacelike, timelike, and null dimensions refer to the relationship between space and time in this four-dimensional space.

2. How are spacelike, timelike, and null dimensions determined?

Spacelike, timelike, and null dimensions are determined by calculating the interval between two events in spacetime. The interval is the difference between the squared spacetime coordinates of the two events. If the interval is positive, the dimensions are spacelike; if it is negative, the dimensions are timelike; and if it is zero, the dimensions are null.

3. What does it mean for dimensions to be spacelike?

Spacelike dimensions refer to a relationship between events in which the distance between them is greater than the time interval between them. This means that the two events cannot influence each other, as no information or signal can travel faster than the speed of light. Objects in spacelike dimensions are considered to be in different locations in space, but at the same moment in time.

4. Are spacelike, timelike, and null dimensions absolute or relative?

Spacelike, timelike, and null dimensions are relative, meaning that their classification can change depending on the observer's frame of reference. This is due to the theory of relativity, which states that the laws of physics are the same for all observers in uniform motion. An event that is spacelike for one observer may be timelike for another, depending on their relative velocities.

5. How do spacelike, timelike, and null dimensions affect the behavior of particles?

The classification of dimensions as spacelike, timelike, or null has a significant impact on the behavior of particles. For example, particles in spacelike dimensions cannot interact with each other, as they are too far apart in space. Timelike dimensions, on the other hand, allow for interactions between particles, as they are close enough in space and time. Null dimensions, where the interval is zero, allow for particles to travel at the speed of light.