Arctan Identities Via Exponentiation

• Thread starter 4dhayman
  • Start date
  • Tags
    identities
In summary, the conversation discusses the use of complex exponentiation to prove identities involving arctan. It presents a formula for the arctan angle addition formula and questions its validity. The other person responds by pointing out that the formula is only valid for ab<1 and mentions the relationship between the arctan function and the complex logarithm. They also mention the need to consider the complex area when using complex logarithms.
4dhayman
Is it possible to prove identities involving arctan by complex exponentiation?

I had in mind something like the following for the arctan angle addition formula, but I feel there is something not quite right in the argument.

$$\arctan{(a)}+\arctan{(b)}= \arctan{\left(\dfrac{a+b}{1-ab}\right)} \implies e^{i\left(\arctan{(a)}+\arctan{(b)}\right)}=e^{i \arctan{\left(\frac{a+b}{1-ab}\right)}} \implies (ai+1)(bi+1) \propto ((a+b)i+(1-ab)) \implies True$$

Is this argument valid? If not, can it be modified to make it correct?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Your formula is only valid for ##ab<1##. And yes, the arcus tangent function is related to the complex logarithm but one has to take care of the complex area for which equations hold, because the complex logarithm splits into a Riemann surface.

Related to Arctan Identities Via Exponentiation

1. What are Arctan identities?

Arctan identities are mathematical equations that relate to the arctangent function, which is the inverse of the tangent function. They are used to simplify and solve complex trigonometric expressions.

2. What is the purpose of using exponentiation in Arctan identities?

Exponentiation is used in Arctan identities to rewrite trigonometric expressions in terms of powers of the arctangent function. This allows for easier manipulation and simplification of the expressions.

3. How do you derive Arctan identities via exponentiation?

Arctan identities can be derived by applying the properties of exponentiation to trigonometric expressions involving the arctangent function. This involves using power rules and logarithmic identities to rewrite the expressions in terms of the arctangent function.

4. What are the most commonly used Arctan identities?

The most commonly used Arctan identities are: arctan(1/x) = arctan(x), arctan(x/y) = arctan(x) - arctan(y), and arctan(x) + arctan(y) = arctan((x+y)/(1-xy)). These identities are used to simplify and solve trigonometric expressions involving the arctangent function.

5. How are Arctan identities used in real-life applications?

Arctan identities are used in various fields of science and engineering, such as physics, astronomy, and navigation. They are used to solve problems involving angles and distances, and are essential in calculating trajectories and orbits of objects in space.