Arctan delta function proof

In summary, to show that the limit \lim_{y\rightarrow0}\frac{y}{x^2+y^2}=\pi\delta(x), you can integrate y/(x2 + y2) with respect to x over an interval containing 0 and let y ->0 to see if you get π. Then, further integrate over an arbitrary interval not including 0 and the limit should be 0. This approach can also be applied to more complex limits, such as \frac{1}{x+i\eta}=P\frac{1}{x}-i\pi\delta(x), to legitimize the use of the Dirac Delta-formalism. Hand-waving is not involved, as it is necessary
daudaudaudau
What is the way to show that

[tex]
\lim_{y\rightarrow0}\frac{y}{x^2+y^2}=\pi\delta(x)
[/tex]
?

Physics news on Phys.org
Integrate y/(x2 + y2) with respect to x over an interval containing 0. You will have a function of y. Let y ->0, and see if you get π. Further integrate over an arbitrary interval not including 0, then the limit should be 0.

But isn't that a bit hand-waving? What if you have something a little harder, like showing that
[tex]
\frac{1}{x+i\eta}=P\frac{1}{x}-i\pi\delta(x)
[/tex]
? Don't you need a more systematic way of doing it?

No, it is no hand-waving involved.

It is precisely the limit behaviour mathman points to that you need to prove is present, in order to legitimize the introduction of the Dirac Delta-formalism.

Related to Arctan delta function proof

1. What is the Arctan delta function proof?

The Arctan delta function proof is a mathematical proof that shows the relationship between the arctangent function (arctan) and the Dirac delta function (δ). It is used to evaluate integrals involving the arctan function.

2. Why is the Arctan delta function proof important?

The Arctan delta function proof is important because it allows for the evaluation of integrals involving the arctan function, which is a commonly used mathematical function in various fields such as physics and engineering. It also provides a deeper understanding of the properties of the Dirac delta function.

3. How is the Arctan delta function proof derived?

The Arctan delta function proof is derived using techniques from calculus, specifically the theory of distributions. It involves manipulating the integrand and using properties of the Dirac delta function to simplify the expression.

4. What are the applications of the Arctan delta function proof?

The Arctan delta function proof has various applications in mathematics, physics, and engineering. It is used to solve problems involving inverse trigonometric functions and evaluate integrals in differential equations and signal processing.

5. Is the Arctan delta function proof difficult to understand?

The Arctan delta function proof can be challenging to understand for those without a strong background in calculus and mathematical analysis. However, with careful study and practice, it can be comprehended by most individuals interested in the subject.