Archimedes (Buoyant force) Not EZ

In summary, Archimedes and a student are discussing a formula to find the density of a rock attached to a string in water. The formula is p rock=(5.0/5.0-3.2)p water and is derived from the relationship between weight, volume, and density. The student is asking for help to prove the formula and the conversation includes discussing freebody diagrams and the buoyant force of water.
Jguth
I tryied but failed miserabely, i need to prove this formula!

Archimedes (Buoyant force)

Lets say that a rock is attatched to a string, the string has a tention of 5.0N out of the water, and has a tention of 3.2N submerged in water. Now to find the density of the rock, the formula used is:

p rock=(5.0/5.0-3.2)p water

To explain...

density of rock=(wt in air/ wt in air-wt in water)*density of water

Now i need to prove this formula, i would apreciate any help, thanks

Note:
(p=density)

What i know:
p=mv
Density of water is 1000kg/m^2

I tried many different ways but never got a definite answer

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You can start by drawing the freebody diagram for the rock, and calculate the net force on the rock in and out of the water.

I know all that, i know the density of the rock and everything, i just need to prove the formula (show why it works)

i need to prove

density of rock=(wt in air/ wt in air-wt in water)*density of water

Start from lost weight in water = buoyant force of water = ...

Related to Archimedes (Buoyant force) Not EZ

1. How did Archimedes come up with the concept of buoyant force?

Archimedes came up with the concept of buoyant force while he was taking a bath. He noticed that the water level rose as he got into the tub and realized that the volume of water displaced by his body was equal to the volume of his submerged body. This led him to discover that any object partially or fully submerged in a fluid experiences an upward force, which is now known as the buoyant force.

2. What is the equation for buoyant force?

The equation for buoyant force is Fb = ρVg, where Fb is the buoyant force, ρ is the density of the fluid, V is the volume of the displaced fluid, and g is the acceleration due to gravity.

3. How does the buoyant force affect floating and sinking objects?

The buoyant force is what determines whether an object sinks or floats in a fluid. If the buoyant force acting on an object is greater than the weight of the object, it will float. If the buoyant force is less than the weight, the object will sink.

4. Can the buoyant force be used to measure the density of an object?

Yes, the buoyant force can be used to measure the density of an object. By measuring the volume of the displaced fluid and knowing the density of the fluid, the density of the object can be calculated using the equation Fb = ρVg. This is known as Archimedes' principle.

5. Are there any real-life applications of buoyant force?

There are many real-life applications of buoyant force, including shipbuilding, hot air balloons, and submarines. It is also used in industries such as oil and gas to measure the density of fluids. In addition, the concept of buoyant force is important in understanding weather patterns and ocean currents.