Archer and Sound Travelling Problem

• MHB
  • Thread starter mathkid3
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Sound
In summary, the conversation discusses a problem where an archer fires an arrow at a target and hears a "thwok" sound 3.0 s after firing. The average speed of the arrow is given as 33 m/s and the speed of sound is assumed to be 340 m/s. The distance between the archer and the target can be solved by breaking the problem into two parts - the distance traveled by the arrow and the distance traveled by the sound. By setting up an equation using the given information and solving for the distance, the solution can be found.
mathkid3
An archer fires an arrow, which produces a muffled "thwok" sound after it hits a target. If the archer hears the "thwok" exactly 3.0 s after firing the arrow and the average speed of the arrow was 33 m/s, what was the distance sepa*rating the archer and the target? Use 340 m/ s for the speed of sound.I have the same problem with different values. If I could see an answer I could then see how to plug in on my other problem.
At least i hope too

(Smirk)

Thanks!

Mathematics news on Phys.org
For this problem, I would definitely draw a diagram, and label relevant quantities. Then I would probably break the problem up into two parts: arrow to target, and "thwok" sound to archer: treat those two events as one after the other.

Does that give you some ideas?

Pretty much the same thing- call the distance to the target, in meters, "d". At 33 m/s how long does it take the arrow to get to the target (in terms of d)? At 340 m/s, how long does it take the sound to get back to you (again in terms of d)? The sum of those two times must be 3 seconds. Solve that equation for d.

Related to Archer and Sound Travelling Problem

1. What is the "Archer and Sound Travelling Problem"?

The "Archer and Sound Travelling Problem" is a theoretical problem in physics that explores the concept of sound waves and how they travel through different mediums.

2. What is the significance of this problem?

This problem is significant because it helps us understand the behavior of sound waves and how they interact with different materials. It also has practical applications in fields such as acoustics, engineering, and communication.

3. How does the archer and sound travelling problem relate to real-life situations?

The problem is often used to explain real-life scenarios, such as why we can hear sound underwater or why sound travels faster in solids than in gases. It can also be used to design better acoustic systems, such as concert halls or soundproofing materials.

4. What factors affect the speed of sound?

The speed of sound is affected by several factors, including the density and elasticity of the medium it is travelling through, the temperature of the medium, and the frequency of the sound wave.

5. Are there any limitations to this problem?

As with any theoretical problem, there may be limitations in its application to real-life situations. Factors such as external noise, air pressure, and turbulence can also affect the speed and behavior of sound waves in ways that may not be fully represented in this problem.