Arc length for these parametric equations

In summary, the conversation was about finding the arc length of a curve described by parametric equations. The person attempted to solve it by differentiating the equations and setting up an integral, but got stuck at simplifying the integrand. Another person suggested factoring out e^2t and using a u-substitution. The conversation ended with the first person confirming the answer to be 9.
Chiborino

Homework Statement

Find the arc length of the curve described by the parametric equations: x=2e^t & y=3e^3t/2 ln3≤t≤2ln3

Homework Equations

S = ∫(a->b) √[(dy/dt)^2 + (dx/dt)^2]dt

The Attempt at a Solution

Differentiated the two parametrics:
dy/dt = 2e^t
dx/dt = (3/2)*3e^3t/2 = (9/2)e^3t/2

Plugged it all in and got:
∫(ln3->2ln3) √[(2e^t)^2 + ((9/2)e^3t/2)^2]dt
= ∫(ln3->2ln3)√[(4e^2t + (81/4)e^3t]dt

I'm stuck at this integral, I don't see any viable choice for u, and I don't think I'm allowed to approximate it.

*sorry about the sloppy bound notation.

Physics news on Phys.org
Try factoring out a [tex]e^{2t}[/tex] from inside the square root and then doing a u substitution. Keep in mind that [tex]\sqrt{e^{2t}}=e^{t}[/tex]

zcd said:
Try factoring out a [tex]e^{2t}[/tex] from inside the square root and then doing a u substitution. Keep in mind that [tex]\sqrt{e^{2t}}=e^{t}[/tex]

Wow! Didn't even think of that.

So the integrand simplifies to sqrt([e^2t](4+(81/4)e^t]) = (e^t)*sqrt(4 + 81/4)*e^t)). And u = e^t, du = e^t*dt, right? :D

If so, I can totally handle it from there, thanks!

Edit: meant e^t*dt, not du

Last edited:
I did a u-sub, then a v-sub (v=[81/4]u+4), and got (2/3e^t + 32/243)|(ln2->3ln2)

And then I got 9, is this answer correct?

That's not what I'm getting.
[tex]\int_{\ln(2)}^{2\ln(3)} \sqrt{4e^{2t}+\frac{81}{4}e^{3t}}\,dt=\frac{9}{2}\int_{\ln(2)}^{2\ln(3)} e^{t}\sqrt{\frac{16}{81}+e^{t}}\,dt[/tex]

Simplifies to
[tex]\left[ 3(\frac{16}{81}+e^{t})^{\frac{3}{2}}\right]_{\ln(3)}^{2\ln{3}}[/tex]

definitely not 9

Related to Arc length for these parametric equations

1. What is arc length for parametric equations?

Arc length for parametric equations is a measure of the distance along the curve described by the equations. It takes into account both the horizontal and vertical components of the curve.

2. How is arc length calculated for parametric equations?

Arc length for parametric equations can be calculated using the formula: L = ∫√(dx/dt)^2 + (dy/dt)^2 * dt, where dx/dt and dy/dt are the derivatives of the x and y components of the curve with respect to the parameter t.

3. Can arc length be negative for parametric equations?

No, arc length cannot be negative for parametric equations. It is always a positive value, representing the distance traveled along the curve.

4. What is the significance of arc length for parametric equations?

Arc length is an important concept in mathematics and physics, as it allows for the calculation of the total distance traveled along a curve. It is also used in applications such as finding the speed and acceleration of an object moving along a curve.

5. Are there any limitations to calculating arc length for parametric equations?

Yes, there are limitations to calculating arc length for parametric equations. It may not be possible to find a closed-form solution for the integral, in which case numerical methods must be used. Additionally, the parametric equations must be well-behaved and differentiable in order for the arc length formula to be valid.