Approximating accuracy of Taylor polynomials

In summary, to determine the values of x for which the function e^x can be replaced by the Taylor polynomial with an error less than 0.001, we use Taylor's Theorem and set up an inequality with the fourth derivative of e^x. By considering the case where x < 0, we can use an alternating series to find the error bound and solve for x. Alternatively, we can use an approximation method such as iteration or the Lambert function to find a solution.
Mangoes

Homework Statement

Determine the values of x for which the function can be replaced by the Taylor polynomial if the error cannot exceed 0.001.

[tex] e^x ≈ 1 + x + \frac{x^2}{2!} + \frac{x^3}{3!}[/tex]

For x < 0

Homework Equations

Taylor's Theorem to approximate a remainder:

[tex] |R(x)| = |\frac{f^{n+1}(z)}{(n+1)!}(x-c)^{n+1}|[/tex]

Where z is some number between c and x, n is the degree of the approximating function, and c is where the function is centered at.

The Attempt at a Solution

From the Taylor polynomial given, c = 0 and n = 3. Since f(x) is e^x, the fourth derivative is simply e^x. If I want an error of less than 0.001,

[tex] |R(x)| = |\frac{e^z}{4!}x^4| < 0.001 [/tex]

Not too sure about this next part, but I think that since the function above increases as x increases, which means the error increases with an increasing x, I replaced z by x since the maximum error is given by the largest z value, and the largest z value is equal to x, and I'm interested in the error bound anyways.

[tex] |R(x)| = |\frac{(x^4)(e^x)}{4!}| < 0.001 [/tex]

...but I'm still left with the problem that I have to find a value that's stuck in an exponent and outside of one, so I'm assuming I'm doing this wrong and I can't figure out any other way to do it.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
When I saw it I wasn't sure if it was a typo or relevant to your question, but as you have stated the problem it is for ##x<0##, which would help with the ##e^x##.

You are on the right track. That is a good estimate (about 7% low). To solve your equation exactly you need the Lambert function. You could also solve it approximately in several ways. One of which is to write it
x^4e^x=24/1000
x=fourthroot(24/1000)e^-(x/4)
and iterate a few times

If are really only worried about x<0 then you have an alternating series. There's an even easier estimate you could use that doesn't even involve e^x. It turns out to be the same error bound that LCKurtz is suggesting you could arrive at by putting in an upper bound for the exponential.

Last edited:
Wow, that's very clever.

I hadn't noticed that the polynomial is the beginning of an alternating series and you can just find the remainder of the alternating series to solve for x.

I hadn't registered the fact that x < 0 in my mind so I didn't see that you could just put 1 in place of the e^x (and you'd get the same expression as if you had used the alternating series remainder to solve for x)

That's pretty cool, thanks for the help guys.

Related to Approximating accuracy of Taylor polynomials

1. What is a Taylor polynomial?

A Taylor polynomial is a mathematical expression that approximates a function at a specific point using its derivatives.

2. How accurate is a Taylor polynomial?

The accuracy of a Taylor polynomial depends on the number of terms used in the polynomial. The more terms used, the closer the approximation will be to the actual value of the function.

3. Why is it important to approximate the accuracy of Taylor polynomials?

Knowing the accuracy of a Taylor polynomial can help determine the reliability of the approximation and whether it is suitable for a particular use or application.

4. What methods are used to approximate the accuracy of Taylor polynomials?

One method is to calculate the error bound, which is the difference between the actual value of the function and the value obtained from the polynomial. Another method is to use the remainder term of the Taylor series, which represents the error of the approximation.

5. Can Taylor polynomials be used to approximate any function accurately?

No, Taylor polynomials can only approximate functions that are infinitely differentiable. If a function is not smooth, the Taylor polynomial may not provide an accurate approximation.