Applying Green's THM, Polar Coords substitution

In summary: So, the answer is -π, right?Sorry, I forgot to ask. How do I enter LaTeX in this forum?In summary, the conversation discusses using Green's Theorem to calculate a line integral involving a circle and a given vector function. The conversation explores different approaches, including brute force and substitution into polar coordinates. Ultimately, the integral simplifies significantly and can be easily evaluated without the need for explicit coordinates. The final answer is -π, and the use of LaTeX in the forum is also discussed.
dbkats
Use Green's THM to calculate the line integral ∫C(F<dot> dx), where C is the circle (x-2)2 + (y - 3)2=1 oriented counterclockwise, and F(x,y)=(y+ln(x2+y2), 2tan-1(x/y)).

Green's THM
∂SF<dot>dx=∫∫S(∂F2/∂x) - ∂F1/∂y)

I tried doing it by brute force. I took the partials and put them under the integral. I also computed the bounds of integration and split it into the multiple integral. However, the bounds were pretty messy:
x from 1 to 3, y from 3 to √(1-(x-2)2)+3

When I evaluated the first integral with respect to y, I got an intractible function to take an integral over.

I feel like I should be using polar coordinates, but I am not sure how to substitute them in this case.

Physics news on Phys.org
welcome to pf!

hi dbkats! welcome to pf! :smile:
dbkats said:
I feel like I should be using polar coordinates, but I am not sure how to substitute them in this case.

same way as usual …

x2 + y2 = r2

x = rcosθ, y = rsinθ, dxdy = rsinθdrdθ :wink:

show us your integrand in x and y :smile:

tiny-tim said:
hi dbkats! welcome to pf! :smile:same way as usual …

x2 + y2 = r2

x = rcosθ, y = rsinθ, dxdy = rsinθdrdθ :wink:

show us your integrand in x and y :smile:

I feel that the conventional polar coordinates will not do well because the disk is not centered at the origin. So when we transform the disk region, we do not get a nice square. Or did I misunderstand how that works?

My integral with respect to x and y:

2∫13dx∫3√(1-(x-2)2)+3{(2/(1 + x/y)2)-1-(2y/(x2+y2))}dy

Last edited:

first, let's simplify …
dbkats said:
{(2/(1 + x/y)2)-1-(2y/(x2+y2))}

:wink:

tiny-tim said:
first, let's simplify …:wink:

So, I actually messed up writing it out here. It should actually be:
Integrand = (2/(1 + (x/y)2))-1-(2y/(x2+y2))

I feel very stupid for not seeing that it drastically simplifies when I work out the common denominator.

Integrand = (y2 - 2y - x2)/(x2 + y2)

Barring any other stupid arithmetic mistakes. Okay, so I have this very pretty integrand, but the bounds of integration are still really weird. Should I try to transition to polar?

EDIT: As an aside, is there a way to enter my fractions here so they are human-readable?

dbkats said:
So, I actually messed up writing it out here. It should actually be:
Integrand = (2/(1 + (x/y)2))-1-(2y/(x2+y2))

I feel very stupid for not seeing that it drastically simplifies when I work out the common denominator.

Integrand = (y2 - 2y - x2)/(x2 + y2)

Barring any other stupid arithmetic mistakes. Okay, so I have this very pretty integrand, but the bounds of integration are still really weird. Should I try to transition to polar?

EDIT: As an aside, is there a way to enter my fractions here so they are human-readable?

It will simplify even more if you get it right. You forgot to use the chain rule on arctan(x/y). It will simplify so much your coordinate problems will be over. And you could check out using LaTex https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=8997

Last edited:

Dick said:
It will simplify even more if you get it right. You forgot to use the chain rule on arctan(x/y). It will simplify so much your coordinate problems will be over. And you could check out using LaTex https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=8997

>.< I feel silly. The integrand evaluates to -1, so I can now use whatever parametrization I feel like. I think that (x-2)=cosθ, (y-3)=sinθ would be a good bet.

I guess once I saw the disk, all I could think about was "how am I going to parametrize this ugly thing"...

Anyway, thanks so much for the help :smile:

dbkats said:
>.< I feel silly. The integrand evaluates to -1, so I can now use whatever parametrization I feel like. I think that (x-2)=cosθ, (y-3)=sinθ would be a good bet.

I guess once I saw the disk, all I could think about was "how am I going to parametrize this ugly thing"...

Anyway, thanks so much for the help :smile:

You're welcome. You don't need coordinates at all. To integrate a constant you just need to know the area of the disk.

Dick said:
You're welcome. You don't need coordinates at all. To integrate a constant you just need to know the area of the disk.

Or that, you hahaha...

Related to Applying Green's THM, Polar Coords substitution

1. What is Green's Theorem?

Green's Theorem is a mathematical theorem that relates the line integral around a simple closed curve in the plane to a double integral over the region inside the curve. It is used to solve problems involving the calculation of work done by a vector field.

2. How is Green's Theorem applied in solving problems?

To apply Green's Theorem, the region enclosed by the curve is divided into small subregions and the line integral is approximated by the sum of line integrals over each subregion. The double integral is then calculated to obtain the final result.

3. What is the THM in Green's Theorem?

The THM in Green's Theorem stands for "Theorem of Hermite and Minkowski". This theorem is used to prove the validity of Green's Theorem in the case of smooth, piecewise continuously differentiable curves.

4. What is the purpose of using polar coordinates in Green's Theorem?

In some problems, it is easier to work with polar coordinates rather than Cartesian coordinates. This is because the curve or region in question may have a circular or symmetric shape, making it easier to express in terms of radius and angle. Polar coordinates also allow for easier integration in some cases.

5. What are some real-world applications of Green's Theorem?

Green's Theorem has many practical applications in physics and engineering, such as calculating the work done by a force in moving an object along a specified path, calculating the circulation of a fluid, and finding the area of a plane region. It is also used in fields like electromagnetism and fluid dynamics to solve various problems involving vector fields.