Applying for PhD - papers needed?

• Admissions
  • Thread starter IttyBittyBit
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Papers Phd
In summary: I think it would be a good idea to submit a conference paper instead of a thesis though, just to be on the safe side.Yes.
IttyBittyBit
I have a bachelor's in math and I'm doing a graduate diploma in engineering science (just a year of advanced coursework, similar to the first year of a master's degree) at the university of Auckland. My grades are pretty good (I got straight A's last semester, and I hope to get just a well this semester), so I'm thinking of applying for a PhD in engineering - preferably software engineering - but I heard that you need to have had some research papers under your belt. So I'm a bit intimidated. I have done plenty of research, but none of it has resulting in papers. I could have submitted a conference paper perhaps, but at the time I didn't think it was worth it.
So guys, based on your personal experience, would a professor be willing to work with someone with exactly 0 research papers so far?

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes.

This "you must be published" is a myth.

I've uploaded a file, it is a talk given by Mor Harchol-Balter, School of Computer Science, Carnegie Mellon University. You will find the whole stuff very useful. Regarding your question, you will find it's answer in section 3.4 of this document!

Attachments

• Grad School Talk.pdf
    102.6 KB · Views: 289
doodle_sack said:
I've uploaded a file, it is a talk given by Mor Harchol-Balter, School of Computer Science, Carnegie Mellon University. You will find the whole stuff very useful. Regarding your question, you will find it's answer in section 3.4 of this document!

Wow. If any of the information carries over to grad school in math, it's the most informative document I've seen on the subject, especially the part on personal statements.

Vanadium 50 said:
Yes.

This "you must be published" is a myth.

It really is, and I have no idea why it seems to be such a widely held belief between undergraduates. Even if you do publish something at undergraduate, it will be guided almost entirely by professors so I don't think it's worth as much as people like to think. At best, it shows that you're doing some work outside of normal lecture duties - but the fact that you've 'done some research' already shows that.

Thanks for the responses guys.
doodle_sack: That answers a lot of my questions. Thanks.

doodle_sack said:

That's an impressive document, and it does indeed apply to graduate school in general.

Related to Applying for PhD - papers needed?

1. What documents do I need to apply for a PhD program?

To apply for a PhD program, you will typically need to submit the following documents:

• Transcripts of your undergraduate and graduate coursework
  • Letters of recommendation from academic or professional references
  • A personal statement or statement of purpose describing your research interests and goals
  • A resume or CV outlining your academic and research experience
  • Standardized test scores (such as GRE or GMAT), if required by the program

2. Do I need to have a specific number of research papers to apply for a PhD?

The number of research papers required for PhD applications can vary depending on the program and field of study. Some programs may require applicants to have at least one published paper, while others may not have a specific requirement. It is important to check the application requirements of each program you are interested in to determine if research papers are required.

3. Can I submit papers that have not been published for my PhD application?

Yes, you can include papers that have not been published in your PhD application. These may include papers that have been submitted for publication or papers that are still in progress. However, it is important to note that published papers may carry more weight in the application process.

4. What role do research papers play in the PhD application process?

Research papers are an important component of the PhD application process as they demonstrate your ability to conduct independent research and contribute to your field of study. They also provide evidence of your academic writing skills and your potential for success in a research-based program.

5. Is it necessary to have research papers in the same field as my intended PhD program?

While having research papers in the same field as your intended PhD program may be beneficial, it is not always necessary. Admissions committees will consider the quality and relevance of your research papers, regardless of the specific field. However, having research papers in a related field can demonstrate your interest and experience in the broader subject area of your PhD program.