Applied problem using absolute extrema

In summary: S}{6}-\frac{2}{3} \pi r^2)^3 => x^3=\sqrt{(\frac{S}{6}-\frac{2}{3} \pi r^2)^3}. The problem is asking to show that the sum of the volumes of a sphere and a cube is smallest when the diameter of the sphere is equal to the length of an edge of the cube. This can be proved by using implicit differentiation and setting the derivative of the volume function equal to zero. The value of dx/dr is not given in the question, so it can be solved using the hint provided and the Binomial Theorem.
John O' Meara
Hi, I have a problem solving this question, I don't know if I am on the correct track for solving this. Suppose that the sum of the surfaces of a sphere and a cube is constant. Show that the sum of their volumes is smallest when the diameter of the sphere is equal to the length of an edge of the cube.
Let x = length of an edge of the cube. r= radius of the sphere and V = total volume. S= total surface area. Then, [tex] V=\frac{4}{3} \pi r^3 + x^3 [/tex]
[tex] S=4\pi r^2 + 6x^2 [/tex] => [tex] x^2=\frac{S-4\pi r^2}{6} [/tex] =>
[tex] x^6=(\frac{S}{6}-\frac{2}{3} \pi r^2)^3[/tex]
=> [tex] x^3=\sqrt{(\frac{S}{6}-\frac{2}{3} \pi r^2)^3}[/tex]. It follows from this that [tex] V=\frac{4}{3} \pi r^3 + \sqrt{(\frac{S}{6}-\frac{2}{3} \pi r^2)^3}[/tex]. This looks like an unyieldy equation. I have yet to differentiate V w.r.t. r, and put V'(r)=0. Do I expand it using the Binomial Theorem or am I totally wrong in my approach to the question? Thanks for the help.

Physics news on Phys.org
Use implicit differentiation & don't bother to find x in terms of r.

Ok, I used implicit differentiation to get [tex] \frac{dV}{dr}=4 \pi r^2 + 3x^2 \frac{dx}{dr} = 0 [/tex] I cannot see anything in the question that tells me the value of dx/dr. So can someone give a hint as to where to go from here. Thanks very much.

John O' Meara said:
I cannot see anything in the question that tells me the value of dx/dr. So can someone give a hint as to where to go from here. Thanks very much.
Hint: :smile:
John O' Meara said:
[tex] S=4\pi r^2 + 6x^2 [/tex] => [tex] x^2=\frac{S-4\pi r^2}{6} [/tex]

Related to Applied problem using absolute extrema

What is an applied problem using absolute extrema?

An applied problem using absolute extrema involves finding the maximum or minimum value of a function in a real-world scenario. This can be used to optimize a situation or make predictions based on data.

How do you find the absolute extrema of a function?

To find the absolute extrema of a function, you must first find the critical points by setting the derivative of the function equal to zero. Then, evaluate the function at these points and at the endpoints of the interval to determine which values are the maximum and minimum.

Can absolute extrema occur at more than one point?

Yes, it is possible for a function to have multiple absolute extrema. This can occur when the function has multiple critical points or when the endpoints of the interval are also maximum or minimum values.

How is the concept of absolute extrema used in the real world?

The concept of absolute extrema is used in various fields such as economics, engineering, and physics. For example, in economics, it can be used to determine the optimal price for a product, while in engineering it can be used to design structures that can withstand the maximum force.

What are some common mistakes when finding absolute extrema?

Some common mistakes when finding absolute extrema include forgetting to check the endpoints of the interval, incorrectly setting the derivative equal to zero, and not considering all critical points. It is also important to check for any restrictions on the domain of the function.