Applied Physics vs Physics: What's the Difference?

In summary, Applied Physics and Physics are closely related fields of study, but with some key differences. While Physics focuses on the fundamental principles and laws governing the physical world, Applied Physics applies those principles to real-world problems and technologies. Applied Physics also incorporates elements of engineering and other sciences, making it a more practical and interdisciplinary field. It is often used in the development of new technologies and solutions to global issues. On the other hand, traditional Physics has a broader scope and is more focused on theoretical and scientific research. Both fields are essential in advancing our understanding and application of the physical world.
preceptor1919
what is the difference between these two programs? Does applied lean more on being an experimental physicists?

Physics news on Phys.org
preceptor1919 said:
what is the difference between these two programs? Does applied lean more on being an experimental physicists?

No, it doesn't. For example, Phil Anderson, John Bardeen, and Bob Laughlin are all in "applied physics" (condensed matter physics). Yet, they are Nobel Prize winning theorists!

In many cases, but not all, the term "applied" simply means that the field of study has an obvious, direct application, rather than simply basic knowledge with no direct, obvious application. Condensed matter physics, atomic/molecular physics, etc. are considered as 'applied', while high energy physics, etc are not considered to be "applied".

Zz.

Can you please elaborate sir?Sorry for not getting much of what you said.Anyhow, I was so sure of becoming a physicist because I love it but then after reading here for hours, I learned that the future can be a little blurry, if after one or 2 years of studying, I suddenly realize that I want to become an engineer because it is much better career wise, which do you think should I take up in my first or second year, physics or applied physics?

preceptor1919 said:
Can you please elaborate sir?Sorry for not getting much of what you said.

Actually, you need to elaborate. What exactly did you read that you did not understand?

In the meantime, read this:

https://www.physicsforums.com/blog.php?b=3727

Zz.

Last edited by a moderator:
Applied physics programs can vary, so we need to know what the program entails before giving you any quality advice. Some "applied" physics programs simply mean you take engineering electives instead of physics electives. If that is the case for your applied physics program, then that would be the one to do if you foresee yourself switching to engineering your third year.

ZapperZ said:
Actually, you need to elaborate. What exactly did you read that you did not understand?

In the meantime, read this:

https://www.physicsforums.com/blog.php?b=3727

Zz.

For some reason my browser did not have the second paragraph of your first post,it's a good thing i viewed again in my phone.i now get it.

Good info on your blig sir.Esuna,i can't find a link for the curriculun,but I'm planning on applying on UBC or SFU for 2015(our family will arrive in Canada on april and applications are done by then).maybe you know their curriculum.thanks for the info.appreciate it :-)

Last edited by a moderator:
preceptor1919 said:
Anyhow, I was so sure of becoming a physicist because I love it but then after reading here for hours, I learned that the future can be a little blurry, if after one or 2 years of studying, I suddenly realize that I want to become an engineer because it is much better career wise, which do you think should I take up in my first or second year, physics or applied physics?

I had similar thoughts starting out as an undergrad, so I ended up in engineering just to be safe. I eventually switched to physics in my second year but didn't fall behind at all and ended up with several engineering courses under my belt, some of which have been useful (programming).

I would suggest starting out in engineering if you're unsure. Usually the engineering and physics students take the same basic courses in their first year (calc sequence, calc based physics, chemistry), but often engineers have to take a few extra courses like intro to programming etc. Therefore, I think it's easier to switch from engineering to physics rather than the other way around.

Also, some schools have "engineering physics" programs which would essentially be an applied physics program with you're electives being engineering heavy. This might be something to look into.

preceptor1919 said:
For some reason my browser did not have the second paragraph of your first post,it's a good thing i viewed again in my phone.i now get it.

Good info on your blig sir.Esuna,i can't find a link for the curriculun,but I'm planning on applying on UBC or SFU for 2015(our family will arrive in Canada on april and applications are done by then).maybe you know their curriculum.thanks for the info.appreciate it :-)

It looks like both schools have Engineering Physics degrees:
http://you.ubc.ca/ubc_programs/engineering-physics/
http://www.sfu.ca/students/calendar...tion/honours/bachelor-of-applied-science.html

SFU Actually has Applied Physics as well
http://www.sfu.ca/students/calendar...pplied-physics/major/bachelor-of-science.html

Though other than some Nuclear Science classes and a Semiconductor Device Physics class, the actual curriculum doesn't seem too different from any other undergrad physics curriculum. Of course I have no idea what lab/work/project opportunities you may have there that could be valuable.

The engineering physics at SFU looks very comprehensive and looks like it would give you a lot of foundational engineering classes/skills. Of course it is entirely up to you.

EDIT: It seems the engineering physics at UBC is a five-year program.

Last edited:

Related to Applied Physics vs Physics: What's the Difference?

1. What is the difference between Applied Physics and Physics?

Applied Physics is the branch of physics that applies the theories and principles of physics to real-world problems and technological advancements. It focuses on the practical applications of physics in fields such as engineering, medicine, and technology. On the other hand, physics is the study of the fundamental laws and principles that govern the behavior of matter and energy in the universe.

2. What are the career opportunities for someone with a degree in Applied Physics?

Some of the career opportunities for someone with a degree in Applied Physics include working in industries such as aerospace, energy, materials science, and telecommunications. They can also work in research and development, quality control, and technical consulting.

3. Can someone with a degree in Applied Physics pursue a career in research?

Yes, someone with a degree in Applied Physics can pursue a career in research. They can conduct research in various industries and fields, such as renewable energy, nanotechnology, and biophysics. They can also work in research and development departments of companies or in academic institutions.

4. How is the coursework different between Applied Physics and Physics?

The coursework for Applied Physics is more focused on practical applications and real-world problems, while the coursework for Physics is more theoretical and focuses on understanding the fundamental laws and principles of physics. Applied Physics students may also have more hands-on laboratory experience and may take courses in engineering and technology.

5. What skills are necessary for someone pursuing a degree in Applied Physics?

Some essential skills for someone pursuing a degree in Applied Physics include strong mathematical and analytical skills, problem-solving abilities, critical thinking, and attention to detail. They should also have strong communication and teamwork skills, as they may work on projects with other scientists and engineers.