Applied or Pure Math for Future Teacher?

In summary, a community college student is seeking to transfer by the end of the upcoming spring semester with the goal of becoming a high school teacher or community college professor in math. They have recently discovered the difference between pure and applied math and are torn between the two, as they enjoy the real-world applications of math but also see the importance of understanding pure math concepts. They are seeking opinions on whether to major in both or focus on one. They are also looking for recommendations for liberal arts colleges with strong math programs. Some advice is given to focus on pure math for teaching at a university level, but also take some physics courses to understand the applications. There is a warning about the difficulty and abstractness of pure math, with recommendations for books on
Eurydice19
Hi everyone!

Thank you clicking on this thread.

I am a community college student seeking to transfer by the end of this upcoming spring semester.
I plan to major in math; my main goal is to become a high school teacher or community college professor.

Only recently did I find out that there's a pure math track and applied math track. I already have a good idea of the difference between the two. My problem is, it seems I would enjoy applied math. Once I discovered how math can describe or be applied in the real world, it became a beautiful subject to me. Because I want to be a full-time teacher, I figured it'd also be neat to share applications with students so they also can learn to appreciate mathematics (because we all know many students fail to see why we need to learn math beyond the algebra level).

Even so, I do realize the importance of some pure math courses and the need to understand and be able to do proofs.
My aim is to truly be skilled at math in order to be a good teacher, but also gain knowledge as to how it is applied in the real world because that is how I've fallen in love with it.

What do I do?
I've heard I can major in both. What are your opinions?

On a side note, do any of you know any liberal arts colleges (women's preferably) that have strong math programs?

Thank you all so much.

Physics news on Phys.org
In the same boat as you although I chose pure math. If your aim is to teach high school then go towards applied math. If you ever consider that the amount of money you make is not great then I would go pure math with the aim of teaching at an university. Both are grwat fields. Although pure math is the hardest subject one can learn. It is a lifetime process.

Im also curious. Up to what math have you completed in the community college? My advice is yo finish all of your calculus series and linear/differential at the cpmmunity because it is cheaper.

I want to keep my options open; so I think I may just go into pure math.
I was previously an English major (I've always been into literature and music), so I'm pretty behind in terms of math.
In other words, I just finished Calculus I this semester, and will be doing Cal II this spring semester before I transfer.
I'm in an Honors program that is only two years, so I can't really stay at my community college any longer.

I think pure math is the better choice. Most math courses that you will teach at the high school or community college level will be very hand wavy, but as a matter of principle any teacher should know the theory behind the material at a deep level. Should someone who doesn't know how limits are defined teach calculus? Should someone who isn't familiar with algebraic structures teach algebra or complex numbers?

Applied math undergraduate degrees generally emphasize computing, numerical methods, and memorizing techniques for solving DEs, and not so much on seeing the applications to the real world. If you want to understand what you are teaching but also be able to motivate it, I feel that the best thing would be to do a pure math degree but also take a bunch of physics courses.

Before you decide to go pure math, make sure you really know what it is:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pure_mathematics

Advanced pure math has a lot to do with definitions for groups, abstract algebras, geometries, topologies, real and complex analysis, number theory and proofs. The proofs can be very hard and very abstract usually too abstract for majority of people. As an example, abstract algebra goes way beyond solving algebraic equations and studies the structure and properties of an algebraic system with abstract operations.

I took a course one time in Algebraic Topology and was totally lost (got a C out of kindness from the prof) even though I did quite well in applied math courses like calculus I,II,III, linear algebra, DE, Tensor Analysis, Boundary Value problems...

Part of my difficulty was in thinking I could do the proofs without having taken the prereqs of set theory to learn how to formulate a proof and abstract algebra to work with definitions and properties and part was due to the abstractness of topology where I had trouble understanding how the definitions fit in with reality (I was a Physics major).

For some proofs to look at check out the book called Proofs from the Book inspired by Paul Erdos and his belief that God had book of the most beautiful proofs.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/3642008550/?tag=pfamazon01-20

and for interesting math topics that hint at what you might study in an exciting tour-de-force summary:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/1554077192/?tag=pfamazon01-20

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to Applied or Pure Math for Future Teacher?

1. What is the difference between applied and pure math?

Applied math involves using mathematical principles and techniques to solve real-world problems, while pure math focuses on the theoretical and abstract aspects of mathematics without any specific application in mind.

2. Which type of math is more relevant for future teachers?

Both applied and pure math have their own importance in the field of education, but applied math may be more relevant for future teachers as it has direct applications in the subjects they will be teaching, such as science or economics.

3. Is it necessary for future teachers to have a strong background in math?

While a strong foundation in math is beneficial for any subject, it may not be necessary for all teachers. However, for those planning to teach math or related subjects, a solid understanding of both applied and pure math is essential.

4. How can understanding math benefit future teachers?

Having a strong understanding of math can help future teachers develop critical thinking and problem-solving skills, which are important for teaching and everyday life. It can also allow them to better understand and explain mathematical concepts to their students.

5. Are there any resources available for future teachers to improve their math skills?

Yes, there are many resources available for future teachers to improve their math skills, such as online courses, textbooks, and workshops. They can also seek guidance from math teachers or colleagues and practice regularly to strengthen their skills.