Applied optimization to SHM problem? Hard?

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the position of the axis for which the periodic time of a pendulum with a uniform circular disk of radius r is a minimum. The equations used include torque, moment of inertia, mass, gravity, angle, radius, angular frequency, period, and length. The approach of using optimization to solve for the axis position is discussed, with the justification of squaring the equation. The conversation ends with the acknowledgement of the correctness of the solution and the guidance provided by the expert.
PhysicsKid0123
[Note: Post restored from archive - gneill, PF Mentor]

Homework Statement

A pendulum consists of a uniform circular disk of radius r which is free to turn about a horizontal axis perpendicular to it's plane. Find the position of the axis for which the periodic time ( for small amplitude oscillations) is a minimum.τ: torque
Ι (i): moment of inertia
m: mass
g:gravity
θ: angle between force mg and the radius length
r: radius
ω: angular frequency
T: period
Sinθ=θ for small amplitudes.
L: length (offset for parallel axis theorem.) (unknown?)

Homework Equations

Equation (1): τ= -mgL θ

Equation (2): θ'' + (mgL/ I ) θ = 0

Equation (3): ω = (gL / (.5 r^2 + L^2)) ^.5

The Attempt at a Solution

So I solved for ω and my reasoning was that in order to have the minimum periodic time ω has to be at it's maximum. So I used applied optimization and set dω/dL = 0. However, I am not sure if this was the right way to do it since I squared both sides of the equation 3 to get rid of the square root and then used implicit differentiation. But I think this might be wrong because it's like if I differentiates the inside of Eq. 1 and that differentiation does not take into account the square root. So I am not sure if I did it right. I differentiated directly but the derivative was a monster and I couldn't factor out the L to solve for it. Is this a right way to do it correctly?

Attachments

• PKfig1.jpg
    PKfig1.jpg
    23.6 KB · Views: 425
  • PKfig2.jpg
    PKfig2.jpg
    28.5 KB · Views: 414
Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
You removed the post ? I thought you did just fine!

It was correct?

Null

Last edited:
BvU said:
You removed the post ? I thought you did just fine!
It was correct?

Can't find no mistakes :smile: (PF isn't really meant for stamp approving, but I think you're doing fine).

Don't know of a different path to the same answer. Your squaring is justified: ##\omega## is known to be > 0 , so no problem.

BvU said:
Can't find no mistakes :smile: (PF isn't really meant for stamp approving, but I think you're doing fine).

Don't know of a different path to the same answer. Your squaring is justified: ##\omega## is known to be > 0 , so no problem.
Oh alright. Got it. Thanks for your guidance then ;p

Related to Applied optimization to SHM problem? Hard?

1. What is applied optimization in the context of structural health monitoring (SHM)?

Applied optimization in SHM involves using mathematical and computational techniques to find the optimal solution to a structural health monitoring problem. This can include optimizing sensor placement, data analysis methods, and decision-making processes to improve the effectiveness and efficiency of SHM systems.

2. How does optimization improve the SHM process?

Optimization can improve the SHM process by reducing the number of sensors needed, identifying the most critical areas for monitoring, and providing more accurate and timely information for decision making. This can lead to cost savings, improved safety, and better long-term structural performance.

3. What are some common optimization methods used in SHM?

Some common optimization methods used in SHM include genetic algorithms, simulated annealing, particle swarm optimization, and gradient descent. These methods can be applied to various aspects of SHM, such as sensor placement, data analysis, and structural damage detection.

4. What are the challenges of applying optimization to SHM?

One of the main challenges of applying optimization to SHM is the complexity of the structural systems and the large amount of data that needs to be processed. This can make it difficult to find the optimal solution and may require advanced computational techniques. Additionally, there may be limitations in available resources and constraints that need to be considered in the optimization process.

5. Is applied optimization to SHM a difficult problem?

While applying optimization to SHM can be challenging, it is not an impossible problem. With advancements in technology and computational methods, it has become more feasible to optimize SHM systems. However, it requires a thorough understanding of both SHM and optimization techniques to effectively apply them to real-world problems.