Applied Min/Max word problem

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the dimensions of the rectangle with maximum area that can be inscribed in a circle with a radius of 10. The area is found by using the formula A=2x√(10-x²) and finding the critical points, which are 0, -10, and 10. After some discussion and clarification, it is determined that the dimensions of the rectangle are 2√5 for both length and width, resulting in a maximum area of 50 square units.
Aresius
I can't seem to figure out this problem.
Find the dimensions of the rectangle with maximum area that can be inscribed in a circle of radius 10.
I start by drawing the diagram and it seems to me like the circle radius corresponds with a line from the center of the rectangle to one of the rectangle points on the edge of the circle. This could give me a triangle with pythagorean theorem. I should find the value of x that yields largest area as my priority, after that I can find y easily.

Latex is not behaving today so i'll try my best without. y/2 = (10^2-(x/2)^2)^(1/2)

Area of a square is xy, duh.

Plugging this in gives me a chain rule problem which ultimately comes out with the critical points 0, -10 and 10, all of which yield 0 Area (obviously), there has to be a critical point that I am missing between 0 and 10 but the derivative of A(x) doesn't yield any.

I'm stumped.

Physics news on Phys.org
Try writing the area of the inscribed rectangle as a function of the angle between its diagonals.

Tide said:
Try writing the area of the inscribed rectangle as a function of the angle between its diagonals.
You can do that but I'm not sure that is the best way.

The circle is, of course, x2+ y2= 100.

The area of the rectangle is (2x)(2y)= 4xy.

[tex]y= \sqrt{100- x^2}[/tex]
so the area is [tex]A= 4x\sqrt{100- x^2}= 4x(100-x^2)^{\frac{1}{2}}[/tex].
Differentiating that and setting the derivative equal to 0 gives a quadratic equation so I'm not at all clear how you got three "critical points"!

That's about where i'd got to, I just overcomplicated things.
the derivative I get is
[tex] 4(100-x^2)^{\frac{1}{2}} - 4x^2(100-x^2)^{-\frac{1}{2}} [/tex]

EDIT: Wait a sec... I had the derivative slightly wrong...

Last edited:
Right, I had the derivative wrong, I still came out with -10, 0 and 10 but the +/-10 were asymptotes according to table and x=0 came out as 40 max area.

That makes absolutely no sense.

I get area of the rectangle to be x * Square root (100 - x ^2)

Still shouldn't make any difference, at least as regards to the derivative of area being equal to zero.

You might want to look a little closer at how you used the chain rule on this..

Aresius said:
That's about where i'd got to, I just overcomplicated things.
the derivative I get is
EDIT: Wait a sec... I had the derivative slightly wrong...

[tex]\frac{4(100-x^2)}{(100-x^2)^{\frac{1}{2}}} - \frac{4x^2}{(100-x^2)^{\frac{1}{2}}} = 0[/tex]

giving,

[tex]4(100-x^2) - 4x^2 = 0[/tex]
[tex]400 - 8x^2 = 0[/tex]
[tex]x^2 = 50[/tex]

only one solution for x.

HallsofIvy said:
You can do that but I'm not sure that is the best way.

Perhaps not but [itex]A = 50 \sin \theta[/itex] looks simpler! :smile:

Tide said:
Perhaps not but [itex]A = 50 \sin \theta[/itex] looks simpler! :smile:

Personally, I like the "it must be a square, by symetry" approach.

Solution

(The diagram has been attached)

Area of rectangle = l X b = 2x√(10-x²)

Squaring the function and discarding the constant

A = x²(10-x²)
A = 10x² - x4

dA = 20x - 4x³
dx

For turning point dA/dx = 0
20x - 4x³ = 0
x = ±√5 , 0

x = +√5 as length cannot be negative or zero

d²A = 20 - 12x²
dx²

d²A/dx² < 0 (Maximum)

A = 2x√(10 - x²)
A = 10v5 sq. units

Dimensions:
length = 2√(10 - x²) = 2√5
width = 2x = 2√5

(Syed Ahsan Badruddin) ©

Attachments

• Q.JPG
    Q.JPG
    16 KB · Views: 413

Related to Applied Min/Max word problem

1. What is an applied min/max word problem?

An applied min/max word problem is a type of mathematical problem that involves finding the minimum or maximum value of a certain quantity, given certain constraints or conditions. It requires using critical thinking and problem-solving skills to determine the best possible solution.

2. How do you solve an applied min/max word problem?

To solve an applied min/max word problem, you must first identify the given constraints or conditions. Then, you can use equations or inequalities to represent the problem and find the minimum or maximum value. Finally, you can use algebraic techniques or graphing to determine the exact solution.

3. What are some real-life examples of applied min/max word problems?

Some examples of applied min/max word problems in real life include determining the minimum amount of material needed to build a bridge, finding the maximum profit a company can make given certain production constraints, and determining the minimum time it takes to complete a task with limited resources.

4. What are some strategies for solving applied min/max word problems?

There are several strategies for solving applied min/max word problems, including creating a visual representation (such as a graph) of the problem, breaking down the problem into smaller parts, and using trial and error to test different solutions. Additionally, it can be helpful to rephrase the problem in your own words to better understand it.

5. Why are applied min/max word problems important?

Applied min/max word problems are important because they require critical thinking and problem-solving skills, which are essential in many areas of life. They also help develop mathematical reasoning and decision-making abilities, which are valuable in both academic and real-world settings.