Application with 3 A levels only?

In summary, if you have 3 A levels and no additional AS, you should still apply to Cambridge Maths as there is nothing you can do about it. However, if you want to have a better chance of being accepted, you should consider doing more AS levels.
dalcde
I'm applying to Cambridge Maths. Will I be disadvantaged if I only take 3 A levels and no additional AS? I have no GCSE equivalent as well.

Physics news on Phys.org
dalcde said:
I'm applying to Cambridge Maths. Will I be disadvantaged if I only take 3 A levels and no additional AS? I have no GCSE equivalent as well.

Have you checked out The Student room website? You'll get some good advice there.

dalcde said:

The entry requirements on the website says: A*AA + STEP

It also says that A-level maths and AS Further Mathematics is essential.

As long as you have those covered then I don't see why you would be disadvantaged.

dalcde said:

Yeah, but apply anyway. lots of people apply with 4 or 5 or even more A levels. You should still apply, especially since there is nothing you can do about it.

Doing more than 3 A-levels usually a consequence of going to an elite school, which gives you an advantage when applying to cambridge (they do consider the school you went to when you apply. In a fair worl they wouldn't, but they do).

11thHeaven said:
Have you checked out The Student room website? You'll get some good advice there.

I've asked there, but the only reply told me to ask the admission officer, who is currently on holiday.

JVNeumann said:
The entry requirements on the website says: A*AA + STEP

It also says that A-level maths and AS Further Mathematics is essential.

As long as you have those covered then I don't see why you would be disadvantaged.
I was told that "most students come with 4 or 5 AS levels, and having 4 AS levels wouldn't disadvantage you". I'm not sure what happens if you only have 3.

streeters said:
Yeah, but apply anyway. lots of people apply with 4 or 5 or even more A levels. You should still apply, especially since there is nothing you can do about it.

Doing more than 3 A-levels usually a consequence of going to an elite school, which gives you an advantage when applying to cambridge (they do consider the school you went to when you apply. In a fair worl they wouldn't, but they do).

I thought it is standard practice to take 4 AS and 3 A2 from what I've heard? Actually, I've still got a year and I'm thinking if I should take an extra AS level.

By the way, according to my understanding, Cambridge would accept students with slightly poorer results if their school is not as good.

As far as I am aware a larger proportion of Maths applicants get offers since the STEP is tricky and most don't get passed it. Basically if you have good predicted grades, a good personal statement and do well at interview then you certainly have a chance of an offer, of course you have to then get the A-level and STEP results.
You can certainly succeed at STEP if you do some practice, you get used to the questions. There are plenty of good resources for STEP lots of past papers, a couples of guides and worked solutions here: (http://www.admissionstests.cambridgeassessment.org.uk/adt/step/Test+Preparation )
if you don't already have them.
Plus I reckon preparation for STEP done before the interview would prepare you well for some of the interview questions.

Last edited by a moderator:
As long as one is Maths, one is Further Maths and the other is something sciency (Physics would be a good choice) 3 A levels would be fine. I think the Cambridge maths course is very Physicsy so I would recommend Physics. I believe on their website somewhere they state that doing extra A levels beyond the standard 3 is not advantageous except for Natural Science where doing a broader range of science A levels is helpful to give you a good selection of modules in the earlier years.

Related to Application with 3 A levels only?

1. What are the benefits of applying with only 3 A levels?

There are a few potential benefits to applying with only 3 A levels. Firstly, it may allow you to focus more time and energy on those 3 subjects, potentially leading to higher grades. Additionally, some universities or programs may have specific requirements or preferences for 3 A levels, making you a more competitive applicant. Finally, applying with 3 A levels may also allow you to pursue other extracurricular activities or interests outside of your studies.

2. Will having only 3 A levels limit my options for university or career paths?

Not necessarily. While some universities or programs may require more than 3 A levels, there are many options available for those with 3 A levels. It's important to research and carefully choose the universities and programs that are best suited for your academic background and career goals.

3. Can I still get into a top university with only 3 A levels?

Yes, it is possible to get into a top university with 3 A levels. Admissions decisions are based on a variety of factors, including grades, extracurricular activities, personal statements, and letters of recommendation. As long as you have strong grades and a well-rounded application, you have a chance of being accepted to a top university.

4. Are there any strategies for making my application stand out with only 3 A levels?

Yes, there are a few strategies you can use to make your application stand out. Firstly, focus on excelling in your 3 A level subjects and achieving high grades. Additionally, consider taking on leadership roles in extracurricular activities or pursuing independent research projects to showcase your skills and interests. You can also use your personal statement to highlight your passion for your chosen subjects and your future goals.

5. Should I consider taking on additional A levels to make my application more competitive?

It depends on your individual circumstances and goals. If you feel confident and capable of taking on additional A levels while maintaining good grades, it may strengthen your application. However, it's important to prioritize your mental and physical well-being and not overload yourself. Remember that there are many other factors that contribute to a strong application, so focus on showcasing your strengths and passions in all areas.