Application on the limit definition of e

In summary, the conversation was about using the limit definition of "e" to solve a problem involving the mgf of a Chi_sq(n) distribution. The person was trying to show that (\frac{1}{1-\frac{t}{\sqrt{\frac{n}{2}}}})^\frac{n}{2} \to e^{\sqrt{\frac{n}{2}}t}\cdot e^\frac{t^2}{2} as n goes to infinity, but they made a mistake in their argument. They were seeking clarification and asked for help in finding their mistake.
fblues
Application on the limit definition of "e"

Hi, I have known that:
(i)[itex] (1+\frac{a}{n})^n=((1+\frac{a}{n})^\frac{n}{a})^a\to e^a[/itex]
(ii)[itex] (1-\frac{1}{n})^n=(\frac{n-1}{n})^n=(\frac{1}{\frac{n}{n-1}})^{(n-1)+1}=(\frac{1}{1+\frac{1}{n-1}})^{(n-1)}\cdot (\frac{1}{1+\frac{1}{n-1}}) \to \frac{1}{e}\cdot 1[/itex]

With above two facts, I wanted to show [itex](\frac{1}{1-\frac{t}{\sqrt{\frac{n}{2}}}})^\frac{n}{2} \to e^{\sqrt{\frac{n}{2}}t}\cdot e^\frac{t^2}{2}[/itex] as n goes to infinity, for a fixed positive real t.

However, I am continuously getting [itex]e^{\sqrt{\frac{n}{2}}t}\cdot e^{t^2}[/itex] instead of above result and could not find the reason on the following my argument:

[itex](\frac{\sqrt{\frac{n}{2}}}{\sqrt{\frac{n}{2}}-t})^\frac{n}{2}=(\frac{(\frac{\sqrt{\frac{n}{2}}}{t}-1)+1}{\frac{\sqrt{\frac{n}{2}}}{t}-1})^\frac{n}{2}=(1+\frac{1}{\frac{\sqrt{\frac{n}{2}}}{t}-1})^{(\frac{\sqrt{\frac{n}{2}}}{t}-1)\sqrt{\frac{n}{2}}t+\sqrt{\frac{n}{2}}t}=(1+\frac{1}{\frac{\sqrt{\frac{n}{2}}}{t}-1})^{(\frac{\sqrt{\frac{n}{2}}}{t}-1)\sqrt{\frac{n}{2}}t}\cdot (1+\frac{1}{\frac{\sqrt{\frac{n}{2}}}{t}-1})^{(\frac{\sqrt{\frac{n}{2}}}{t}-1)t^2+t^2}[/itex]
[itex]=(1+\frac{1}{\frac{\sqrt{\frac{n}{2}}}{t}-1})^{(\frac{\sqrt{\frac{n}{2}}}{t}-1)\sqrt{\frac{n}{2}}t}\cdot (1+\frac{1}{\frac{\sqrt{\frac{n}{2}}}{t}-1})^{(\frac{\sqrt{\frac{n}{2}}}{t}-1)t^2}\cdot (1+\frac{1}{\frac{\sqrt{\frac{n}{2}}}{t}-1})^{t^2} \to e^{\sqrt{\frac{n}{2}}t}\cdot e^{t^2}\cdot 1[/itex] as n goes to infinity.

It would be very appreciative if you let me know my mistake.
Thank you very much.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi fblues. How can there be an ##n## on the right hand side, after you have taken the limit of ##n \to \infty##?

I think the statement that you want is something like

[tex] \lim_{n\to \infty} \left(\frac{1}{1-t/\sqrt{n/2}} \right)^{n/2} e^{-\sqrt{n/2} t} = e^{t^2/2} [/tex]

(I don't know if this is the correct statement, but is what your statement should look similar to).

To. CompuChip:
Thank you for letting me know. I tried to split the part that I don't know from the original problem and made a mistake during this procedure. BTW, it seems Office_Shredder knows the original one.

To. Office_Shredder:
Yes. The problem is from "the mgf of Chi_sq(n) becomes the mgf of normal(0,1) as n goes to infinity." I think the general approach is use of Taylor expansion. But, I tried to employ the limit definition of e. Do you have an idea for this?

Related to Application on the limit definition of e

1. What is the limit definition of e?

The limit definition of e is the mathematical concept that describes the continuous and infinite growth of a natural logarithm function. It is represented by the equation lim (n→∞) (1+1/n)^n, where n is any positive number.

2. How is the limit definition of e used in science?

The limit definition of e is used in various scientific fields, such as physics, chemistry, and biology, to model natural processes that exhibit exponential growth or decay. It is also used in mathematical models to describe population growth, radioactive decay, and other phenomena.

3. What is the significance of e in mathematics?

Euler's number, denoted as e, is a fundamental mathematical constant that is approximately equal to 2.71828. It is an irrational number and is used in many mathematical equations, including the limit definition of e, to describe exponential growth and decay.

4. How is the limit definition of e derived?

The limit definition of e can be derived using the concept of a limit. By taking smaller and smaller values for n in the equation lim (n→∞) (1+1/n)^n, we can approach the value of e as closely as we want. This approach is known as the method of exhaustion and was used by mathematician Leonhard Euler to prove the limit definition of e.

5. Can the limit definition of e be applied to other functions?

Yes, the limit definition of e can be applied to other functions besides the natural logarithm. For example, it can be used to find the limit of (1+x/n)^n as n approaches infinity, which is equal to ex. This concept is also known as the limit definition of the exponential function.