Application on Differentiation

In summary, the problem asks for the best way to cut a 20 cm wire into two pieces in order to maximize or minimize the total area enclosed by an equatorial triangle and a circle. The solution involves using x as the length of the circle and (20-x) as the triangle length, finding the area of each shape, differentiating the sum of the areas, and solving for the value of x that gives a maximum or minimum area. An easier approach is suggested, using the cosine function to calculate the height of the triangle, and checking the solution with a graph.
Lord Dark

Homework Statement

could someone please help me to answer the following problem:

Suppose a wire 20 cm long is to be cut into two pieces. One piece is to be bent in the shape of an equatorial triangle and the other in the shape of a circle. How should the wire be cut so as to:
a) maximize the total area enclosed by the shapes ?

b)minimize the total area enclosed by the shapes ?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

i applied x as the circle length and (20-x) as the triangle length ,,
we know that x=(2pi)r > r=x/2pi ,, A(c)=pi*(x/2pi)^2 ,,
A(t)=.5*(20-x)/3*sqrt(((20-x)/3)^2-((20-x)/6)^2)
A(c+t)= A(c) + A(t) ... then differentiate ,, solve for A`(c+t)=0 and i'll get what ?? maximize or minimize and how to get the other one ?? ,, and is there another way ?? (easier one) because it's hard to solve for A`(c+t) the equation is too long ...

Physics news on Phys.org
For the area of the triangle calculate the height by using the following:

[tex]h=\frac{1}{2}base*\cos(60)[/tex]

rather than using the Pythagorean Theorem. It will lead to a cleaner expression that will be much easier to differentiate. Take the second derivative of your expression to determine if it's a maximum or minimum.

lol ,, thanks :)

ok ,, i got A(c+t)= x^2/4pi + (sqrt(3)/36) * (20-x)^2
i differentiate and solved for 0 i got x = 7.53583283 and got:
the maximum A(20) and minimum A(x) ,, is it right ??

If you have a graphing calculator, graph it and find the minimum. Otherwise, graph it on paper to see if your value is correct. Should be an easy check.

Related to Application on Differentiation

1. What is differentiation?

Differentiation is a mathematical process that involves finding the rate of change of a function with respect to its independent variable. It is used to determine the slope of a curve at a particular point.

2. Why is differentiation important?

Differentiation has many applications in fields such as physics, engineering, economics, and biology. It is used to model and analyze real-world situations, such as determining the velocity and acceleration of a moving object or finding the optimal solution to a problem.

3. How is differentiation different from integration?

Differentiation and integration are inverse operations of each other. While differentiation finds the rate of change of a function, integration finds the accumulation of that function. Essentially, differentiation is the process of finding the slope of a curve, while integration is the process of finding the area under the curve.

4. What are the basic rules of differentiation?

The basic rules of differentiation include the power rule, product rule, quotient rule, and chain rule. These rules are used to find the derivative of a function, which is the mathematical expression for the rate of change of that function.

5. How is differentiation used in real life?

Differentiation has many practical applications in everyday life. It is used to calculate the speed and acceleration of objects in motion, predict the growth of populations, analyze economic trends, and optimize processes in industries such as manufacturing and finance. It is also used in fields such as medicine and meteorology to model and understand complex systems.