Application of the mean value theorem.

In summary, we are given two continuous functions f and g on [a,b] that are differentiable on ]a,b[ and for every x in ]a,b[ : f'(x)<g'(x). We need to show that f(b)-f(a)<g(b)-g(a). To do this, we can use the fact that f'(c)<g'(c) for some c in ]a,b[ and the expressions f'(c)=(f(b)-f(a))/(b-a) and g'(c)=(g(b)-g(a))/(b-a). By simplifying and canceling the (b-a) term, we get f(b)-f(a)<g(b)-g(a), proving the original statement.
mtayab1994

Homework Statement

Let f and g be two continuous functions on [a,b] and differentiable on ]a,b[ such that for every x in ]a,b[ : f'(x)<g'(x)

Homework Equations

Show that f(b)-f(a)<g(b)-g(a)

The Attempt at a Solution

So I said that there exists a c in ]a,b[ such that f'(c)=(f(b)-f(a))/(b-a) and g'(c)=(g(b)-g(a))/(b-a) and since f'(x)<g'(x) then f'(c)<g'(c) and that implies that f'(c)/g'(c)<1 and when substituting in what we found we get that (f(b)-f(a))/(g(b)-g(a))<1 and that implies that f(b)-f(a)<g(b)-g(a). Is this correct??

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, that is correct, but I don't understand why you did the division (also this is dangerous- what if [itex]g'(c) =0[/itex]). Do you see how you can do it without the division?

Robert1986 said:
Yes, that is correct, but I don't understand why you did the division (also this is dangerous- what if [itex]g'(c) =0[/itex]). Do you see how you can do it without the division?

No I can't see how, but i can suppose that g'(c)≠0 right?

mtayab1994 said:
No I can't see how, but i can suppose that g'(c)≠0 right?
I don't see how you can suppose that (I might be missing something, but if you can, you will have to prove why it is true, which isn't necessary.) For example, if [itex]f(x)=-5x[/itex] and [itex]g(x)=-x^2+1[/itex] and [itex]a=-1[/itex] and [itex]b=1[/itex] the smallest that [itex]g'[/itex] gets is -2. But, [itex]f'(x)=-5 < -2 < g'(x)[/itex]. Right?

So, you know that:
[itex]f'(c) < g'(c)[/itex] and
[itex]f'(c)=\frac{f(b)-f(a)}{b-a}[/itex] and [itex]g'(c)=\frac{g(b)-g(a)}{b-a}[/itex].

Now do you see?

Robert1986 said:
I don't see how you can suppose that (I might be missing something, but if you can, you will have to prove why it is true, which isn't necessary.) For example, if [itex]f(x)=-5x[/itex] and [itex]g(x)=-x^2+1[/itex] and [itex]a=-1[/itex] and [itex]b=1[/itex] the smallest that [itex]g'[/itex] gets is -2. But, [itex]f'(x)=-5 < -2 < g'(x)[/itex]. Right?

So, you know that:
[itex]f'(c) < g'(c)[/itex] and
[itex]f'(c)=\frac{f(b)-f(a)}{b-a}[/itex] and [itex]g'(c)=\frac{g(b)-g(a)}{b-a}[/itex].

Now do you see?

So all you are going to do now is say that since f'(c)<g'(c) and when we cancel the b-a we will get f(b)-f(a)<g(b)-g(a) right??

Yep!

Robert1986 said:
Yep!

Alright thanx!

Related to Application of the mean value theorem.

1. What is the mean value theorem?

The mean value theorem is a mathematical theorem that states that for a continuous and differentiable function on a closed interval, there exists at least one point in the interval where the slope of the tangent line is equal to the average rate of change of the function over the interval.

2. What is the importance of the mean value theorem?

The mean value theorem is important because it provides a theoretical foundation for many applications in calculus, such as optimization problems and curve sketching. It also allows us to prove the existence of solutions to equations and inequalities.

3. How is the mean value theorem applied in real life?

The mean value theorem has many practical applications in fields such as physics, economics, and engineering. For example, it can be used to determine the maximum or minimum speed of an object during a given time period, or to calculate the average rate of change of a company's stock prices over a certain time period.

4. What are the conditions for the mean value theorem to hold?

The mean value theorem only applies to functions that are continuous and differentiable on a closed interval. This means that the function must have no breaks or jumps and it must have a defined slope at every point on the interval.

5. How is the mean value theorem related to the intermediate value theorem?

The intermediate value theorem is a special case of the mean value theorem, where the average rate of change is equal to 0. This means that the slope of the tangent line at the point where the mean value theorem is applied is equal to 0, indicating a point of intersection on the graph of the function. Therefore, the intermediate value theorem is a direct consequence of the mean value theorem.