Application of Stokes' Theorem

In summary, the question asks for the solution of a line integral using Stokes' Theorem. The vector function and its curl are given, and the surface S, with boundary C, is parametrized. The integrand simplifies to a constant, making the double integral a matter of finding the area of the ellipse and multiplying it by the constant value. The normal to the ellipse and the curl of the vector function are also constants, further simplifying the solution. Dividing the normal by the appropriate factor and multiplying by the area of the ellipse yields the same result as the previous method.
agent_cooper

Homework Statement

Solve the following question by using Stokes' Theorem.

(Line integral on C) 2zdx + xdy + 3ydz = ? where C is the ellipse formed by
z = x, x^2 + y^2 = 4.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

We have the vector A=(2z,x,3y) which is cont. differentiable and
curl(A) = (3,2,1). Now we have to parametrize the smooth surface S whose boundary is C and obtain a normal. I'm confused here how to choose the parameters. I solved it using the usual way and got -8*Pi. Can you help me to arrange the double integral in order to solve it by using Stokes' Thm.? Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
The normal to the ellipse is the same as the normal to the plane x=z. So it's a constant vector. Your curl is also a constant vector. So the integrand of the double integral is just a constant. This means you only need to know the area of the ellipse and the value of the integrand. No need to actually integrate anything.

Okay, i got it. The normal to the plane is n=(1,0,-1) but we need an outward normal so we take n=(-1,0,1). We get (3,2,1)(-1,0,1) = -2. Projection onto xy-plane is a circle whose area is 4*Pi and multiplying it by -2 we obtain 8*Pi.

I guess I would normalize the normal by dividing by sqrt(2) and then multiply by the real area of the ellipse which is sqrt(2) times the area of the circle. But of course, you get the same thing.

Related to Application of Stokes' Theorem

What is Stokes' Theorem?

Stokes' Theorem is a fundamental theorem in vector calculus that relates the surface integral of a vector field over a closed surface to the line integral of the same vector field over the boundary of the surface.

How is Stokes' Theorem used in science?

Stokes' Theorem is used in many areas of science, particularly in physics and engineering, to calculate the flow of vector fields such as electric or magnetic fields, fluid flow, and gravitational fields.

What is the significance of Stokes' Theorem?

Stokes' Theorem is significant because it provides a powerful tool for solving problems involving vector fields and closed surfaces. It allows for the conversion of a difficult surface integral into an easier line integral, making calculations more efficient.

Can Stokes' Theorem be applied to any vector field and surface?

Stokes' Theorem can be applied to any smooth vector field and any closed surface that can be parameterized. However, the surface and the boundary must be oriented in a consistent manner for the theorem to be valid.

What are some real-world applications of Stokes' Theorem?

Stokes' Theorem has numerous applications in real-world problems, such as calculating the force on an airplane wing due to air flow, determining the circulation of ocean currents, and analyzing the magnetic field around a wire carrying an electric current.