Application of Newton's law of cooling to biophysics experiment

In summary, the thermodynamic properties of microhabitats used by Chuckwalla lizards can be modeled using an equation that takes into consideration air temperature and convection.
herpetology
Hi All,

I am hoping to create an equation which I can use to describe the thermodynamic properties of microhabitats used by Chuckwalla lizards. Basically,the habitat in question is a crevice that is shaped like a rectangular prism within an igneous rock. I am trying to develop an equation that can predict the air temperature within the crevice, if the ambient temperature is known. This will help us understand the chuckwalla's energy budget and behavior, etc.

I was wondering if you guys could look over my math to see if it looks like I'm on the right track. If not, I'd certainly appreciate your help!

So, first, I wanted to create an equation to model the head flow across an igneous rock.
So, H= k*A(Tout-Tin)

Where k is the thermal conductivity of igneous rock, A is the total cross sectional area of conducting surface, Tout is the ambient temperature and Tin is the temperature within the crevice, and x is the thickness of the rock.

The air in the crevice will heat up a certain number of degrees for every Joule that flows through the rock:

ΔQ/(v*C)= ΔTin, where C is the volumetric specific heat of air and v is the volume of air within the crevice.

The amount of heat transferred at time T can be found by multiplying heat flow by time:

H*Δt= ΔQ

Plug H*Δt in for ΔQ and you get:

HΔt/(v*C)= ΔTin

divide by Δt:

H/(v*C) = ΔTin/Δt

or, plugging in for H:

(k*A(Tout-Tin)/(v*C) = ΔTin/Δt

k*A/(v*C) is constant = K, so

K(Tout-Tin) = ΔTin/Δt

Finally, solving the differential equation using eKt as the integrating factor, I ended up with:

Tin(t) = C*e-Kt - Tout

how does this look? obv, i just ended up with Newton's cooling equation, but I have some idea how to figure out how to estimate K since i did it this way.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Looks like I forgot the include the thickness of the rock, X, in the equation.

should look like this:

H= k*A(Tout-Tin)/x

anyone ?

Well, it really depends on what your assumptions are and how accurate you want to be. You seem to be assuming that the source of the heat and the outside temperature of the wall are constant, thus you have a constant heat flow from the source through the rock to the air. You might need to verify this, but depending on how little the variation is you probably can safely assume this. If you do, then you can use your equations to find out how much heat is being transferred into the air.

One problem I see is that you are not taking into consideration convection in your equation. Your equations are all Fourier's law of conduction, but convection is another thing entirely. The temperature at the wall might be Tout, but the actual free stream temperature of the air might be less than the wall temperature. You might need to take into consideration air speed and bulk temperatures of the air in order to estimate h better. Since you know the heat being transferred in, once you have h and A, you can find the free-stream temperature better. In retrospect, you probably could use conduction as a good model for enclosed spaces, but you have to make sure you can or else your results will be wrong.

Another thing might be that you have to see if the temperatures are fairly constant over the time interval you are considering. For example, the air temperature in a desert will fluctuate wildly depending on time of day. If you need to take this into consideration, you might want to do a transient nodal analysis of the system.

I hope that made sense to you. If anyone here knows more than I do about this, please correct me.

Hi there,

It looks like you are on the right track with your equation for modeling the head flow across the igneous rock. Your use of Newton's law of cooling is appropriate for this situation.

To estimate the value of K, you can conduct experiments in the lab or in the field to measure the temperature within the crevice at different times and ambient temperatures. You can then use your equation to fit the data and determine the value of K that best fits the data.

Also, keep in mind that there may be other factors at play in the microhabitat that could affect the temperature, such as air flow, humidity, and the behavior of the chuckwalla itself. It may be helpful to consider these factors in your experiments and analysis as well.

Overall, your approach seems sound and I think your equation will be a useful tool in understanding the thermodynamic properties of the crevice and its impact on the chuckwalla's energy budget and behavior. Good luck with your experiments!

Related to Application of Newton's law of cooling to biophysics experiment

1. How does Newton's law of cooling apply to biophysics experiments?

Newton's law of cooling states that the rate of heat loss of an object is proportional to the temperature difference between the object and its surroundings. In biophysics experiments, this law can be applied to study the cooling of living organisms or tissues when placed in a controlled environment.

2. What are some examples of biophysics experiments where Newton's law of cooling is used?

Some examples include studying the cooling of human skin after exposure to different temperatures, investigating the cooling rate of organs during transplant procedures, and analyzing the cooling of animal tissues during hibernation.

3. How is Newton's law of cooling used to measure heat transfer in biophysics experiments?

In biophysics experiments, researchers can use Newton's law of cooling to measure the rate of heat transfer by measuring the temperature difference between the object and its surroundings over a period of time. This can provide valuable information about the thermal properties of living organisms or tissues.

4. Can Newton's law of cooling be applied to predict the cooling behavior of all biological materials?

No, Newton's law of cooling may not be applicable to all biological materials as it assumes that the heat transfer occurs in a homogenous medium. However, it can provide a good estimate for many biological materials and can be used as a starting point for further analysis.

5. How can the results of biophysics experiments using Newton's law of cooling be used in practical applications?

The results obtained from biophysics experiments using Newton's law of cooling can have practical applications in fields such as medicine, agriculture, and environmental studies. Understanding the cooling behavior of living organisms or tissues can help in developing more effective cooling techniques for preserving organs during transplants, improving crop storage methods, and studying the impact of temperature on ecological systems.