What does 'k' in Newton's law of cooling represent?

In summary, Newton's law of cooling states that the instantaneous rate of cooling is proportional to the original temperature minus the final temperature.
namitakn
Newton's law of cooling says:

Instantaneous rate of cooling = -k (Original temperature - Final temperature)

But what does this 'k' mean?

I know it depends on the nature of the surface; but what property does it correspond to?

Is 'k' related to specific heat capacity?
Does higher specific heat capacity mean higher k?

Please quote the source when you answer.

Physics news on Phys.org
k includes everything about the setup, including heat capacity, thermal conductivity of materials, surface areas, the geometry and probably some things I did not think about.

You ought to think of Newton's law of cooling in the same way as with Coulomb's law of friction:
They are both "hodge-podge" laws on the theoretical level in that they do not bother about the distinct mechanisms behind the overall complex phenomenon, but are nonetheless highly effective in predicting a variety of outcomes. Thus, they are archetypes on what constitute intelligent "engineering", rather than being helpful to probe the deeper secrets of the universe.

To my (albeit modest) knowledge there's no derivation of Newton's law of cooling from the fundamental principles of non-equilibrium statistical mechanics, so that the "k" there is just a constant with dimensions of 1/time.

dextercioby said:
To my (albeit modest) knowledge there's no derivation of Newton's law of cooling from the fundamental principles of non-equilibrium statistical mechanics, so that the "k" there is just a constant with dimensions of 1/time.

The OP's statement of Newton's Law is too general to be of much predictive use. If you unpack the heat transfer into conduction, convection, and radiation, then conduction and radiation are fairly easy to relate to the underlying phyiscs, but convection is not.

I think "Newton's law of cooling" usually refers to the convective part, in the form ##\dot Q = h A \Delta T## where you might hope that the heat transfer coefficient ##h## was related to the underlying physics. In practice, ##h## is not a constant but can be modeled fairly well by (semi-empirical) functions of assorted non-dimensional fluid flow parameters, like the Reynolds, Prandtl, Grasshof, Rayleigh, etc, etc, numbers.

But given the current (lack of) understanding on how the Navier Stokes equations relate to the underlying physics, I'm not holding my breath waiting for an answer "real soon now".

Related to What does 'k' in Newton's law of cooling represent?

What does 'k' represent in Newton's law of cooling?

In Newton's law of cooling, 'k' represents the cooling rate or the rate at which an object loses heat. It is also known as the cooling constant.

How is 'k' calculated in Newton's law of cooling?

'k' can be calculated by dividing the temperature difference between the object and its surroundings by the time it takes for the object to reach that temperature difference. This can be expressed mathematically as k = (T1 - T2)/t.

What is the significance of 'k' in Newton's law of cooling?

'k' is an important constant in Newton's law of cooling as it helps to determine the rate at which an object's temperature changes over time. It is also used to compare the cooling rates of different objects.

Does 'k' have a unit in Newton's law of cooling?

Yes, 'k' has a unit of inverse time, such as seconds^-1 or minutes^-1. This unit is often used to express the cooling rate of an object.

How does 'k' affect the cooling of an object in Newton's law of cooling?

The higher the value of 'k', the faster an object will cool down. This means that objects with a higher value of 'k' will reach the surrounding temperature at a faster rate compared to objects with a lower 'k' value.