Application of Integration: Maximizing Profit for a Weaving Machine

In summary, a textile factory plans to install a weaving machine on 1st January 1995 to increase its production of cloth. The monthly output x (in km) of the machine, after t months, can be modeled by the function x = 100e^(-0.01t) - 65e^(-0.02t) - 35. It is estimated that the machine will cease producing any more cloth in February 2000 and will produce a total of 141km of cloth during its lifespan. The greatest monthly profit of US$1430 will be obtained in March 1997. The machine should be discarded in April 1999, when its monthly profit falls below US$500.
chrisyuen

Homework Statement

A textile factory plans to install a weaving machine on 1st January 1995 to increase its production of cloth. The monthly output x (in km) of the machine, after t months, can be modeled by the function x = 100e^(-0.01t) - 65e^(-0.02t) - 35.

(a)(i)
In which month and year will the machine cease producing any more cloth?

(a)(ii)
Estimate the total amount of cloth, to the nearest km, produced during the lifespan of the machine.

(b)
Suppose the cost of producing 1km of cloth is US$300; the monthly maintenance fee of the machine is US$300 and the selling price of 1km of cloth is US$800. In which month and year will the greatest monthly profit be obtained? Find also the profit, to the nearest US$, in that month.

(c)
The machine is regarded as "inefficient" when the monthly profit falls below US$500 and it should then be discarded. Find the month and year when the machine should be discarded. Explain your answer briefly.

Answers
(a)(i) February 2000
(a)(ii) 141km
(b) March 1997; US$1430
(c) April 1999

Homework Equations

Quadratic Equation and Definite Integral Formulae

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't know how to solve the part (b).

I tried to establish a formula (800-300)x - 300t = 500x - 300t with no hope.

Can anyone tell me how to solve it?

Thank you very much!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
chrisyuen said:
The monthly output x (in km) of the machine, after t months, can be modeled by the function x = 100e^(-0.01t) - 65e^(-0.02t)-35.

(b)
Suppose the cost of producing 1km of cloth is US$300; the monthly maintenance fee of the machine is US$300 and the selling price of 1km of cloth is US$800. In which month and year will the greatest monthly profit be obtained? Find also the profit, to the nearest US$, in that month.

I don't know how to solve the part (b).

I tried to establish a formula (800-300)x - 300t = 500x - 300t with no hope.

Hi chrisyuen! :smile:

(try using the X2 tag just above the reply box :wink:)

Just put x = 100e-0.01t - 65e-0.02t - 35 into 500x - 300t, and find the maximum :smile:

I followed your suggestion and then solve for t below:
650e-0.02t - 500e-0.01t - 300 = 0

Finally, I got e-0.01t = 1.17 OR e-0.01t = -0.4.

Both values should be rejected.

Did my work correct or not?

Thank you very much!

ah … on reading the question more carefully :redface:, your -300t should be left out … it's the same every month! :smile:

tiny-tim said:
ah … on reading the question more carefully :redface:, your -300t should be left out … it's the same every month! :smile:

I can solve the part (b) using your method.

Thanks a lot!

I have another question for part (c).

I found that t = 6.2 OR t = 51.

How can I reject the first one?

Thank you very much!

chrisyuen said:
I have another question for part (c).

I found that t = 6.2 OR t = 51.

How can I reject the first one?
chrisyuen said:
(c)The machine is regarded as "inefficient" when the monthly profit falls below US$500 and it should then be discarded. Find the month and year when the machine should be discarded. Explain your answer briefly.

Well, it says "Find the month and year when the machine should be discarded" … so surely it should be discarded the first month when it shows a loss, not the last one?

If you think the first one is wrong, you'd better show us your full calculation. :smile:

tiny-tim said:
Well, it says "Find the month and year when the machine should be discarded" … so surely it should be discarded the first month when it shows a loss, not the last one?

If you think the first one is wrong, you'd better show us your full calculation. :smile:

Monthly Profit y(t)
= 800x - 300x -300
= 500x - 300
= 500(100e-0.01t - 65e-0.02t -35) - 300
= 50000e-0.01t - 32500e-0.02t - 17800

y(t) = 500
50000e-0.01t - 32500e-0.02t - 18300 = 0
e-0.01t = 0.6 OR e-0.01t = 0.94
t = 51 OR t = 6.2

y(t) < 500
(e-0.01t - 0.6)(e-0.01t -0.94) < 0

Case 1: (e-0.01t - 0.6) < 0 and (e-0.01t -0.94) > 0

t > 51 and t < 6.2

Case 2: (e-0.01t - 0.6) > 0 and (e-0.01t -0.94) < 0

t < 51 and t > 6.2 ==> 6.2 < t < 51 (rejected)

But the answer provided by the textbook only gave me 51 months (April 1999).

Should I use inequality to solve this question?

Thank you very much!

Last edited:
Hi chrisyuen :smile:

Yes, your calculations look completely correct :smile:

hmm … when t = 0, the output is 0 …

so the output starts very small, builds up, and then falls …

the question isn't clear on this :frown:, but it looks as if the machine has to operate for 6 months before it makes a profit … and it would be silly to close it down just then! :rolleyes:

I got it!

Thank you very much!

Related to Application of Integration: Maximizing Profit for a Weaving Machine

1. What is the purpose of integrating a function?

The purpose of integrating a function is to find the area under the curve of the function. This can also be thought of as finding the accumulation of quantities represented by the function.

2. What are the two types of integration?

The two types of integration are definite and indefinite. Definite integration gives a specific numerical value, while indefinite integration results in a function with a constant of integration.

3. How is integration related to differentiation?

Integration and differentiation are inverse operations. This means that integrating the derivative of a function will give the original function, and differentiating the integral of a function will also give the original function.

4. What are some real-life applications of integration?

Integration is used in various fields such as physics, engineering, economics, and statistics. Some examples include finding the area under a velocity-time graph to calculate displacement, calculating the work done by a force, and determining the average value of a function over a given interval.

5. Are there any limitations to using integration?

While integration is a powerful tool in mathematics and science, it does have some limitations. One limitation is that not all functions can be integrated analytically. In these cases, numerical methods must be used. Additionally, integration can only provide approximate values for functions that are not continuous or have discontinuities.