Application of Integration III

In summary, an ecologist studying the birds at Mai Po Nature Reserve has found that only 21% of the birds are "residents" and the remaining birds are migrants. The number of a certain species of migrants, denoted as N(t), can be modeled by the function N(t) = 3000 / (1 + ae^-bt). Expressing ln (3000/N(t) - 1) as a linear function of t and using graph paper to estimate the values of a and b, the ecologist has found a = 49.4 and b = 0.3 for this year. Basing on previous observations, it is known that the migrants start to leave when the rate of change of N(t
chrisyuen

Homework Statement

An ecologist studies the birds at Mai Po Nature Reserve. Only 21% of the birds are "residents", i.e. found throughout the year. The remaining birds are migrants. The ecologist suggests that the number N(t) of a certain species of migrants can be modeled by the function

N(t) = 3000 / (1 + ae-bt),

where a, b are positive constants and t is the number of days elapsed since the first one of that species of migrants was found at Mai Po in that year.

(a) This year, the ecologist obtained the following data:

N(5) = 250, N(10) = 870, N(15) = 1940, N(20) = 2670.

(i) Express ln ([tex]\frac{3000}{N(t)}[/tex] - 1) as a linear function of t.

(ii) Use the graph paper below to estimate graphically the values of a and b correct to 1 decimal place.

(b) Basing on previous observations, the migrants of that species start to leave Mai Po when the rate of change of N(t) is equal to one hundredth of N(t). Once they start to leave, the original model will not be valid and no more migrants will arrive. It is known that the migrants will leave at the rate r(s) per day where r(s) = 60 [tex]\sqrt{s}[/tex] and s is the number of days elapsed since they started to leave Mai Po. Using the values of a and b obtained in (a)(ii),

(i) find N'(t), and show that N(t) is increasing;
(ii) find the greatest number of the migrants which can be found at Mai Po this year;
(iii) find the number of days in which the migrants can be found at Mai Po this year.

(Answers
(a)(i) -bt + ln a
(a)(ii) a = 49.4, b = 0.3
(b)(i) 3000 * 49.4 * 0.3 * e-0.3t / (1 + 49.4e-0.3t)2
(b)(ii) 2900
(b)(iii) 42)

Homework Equations

Differentiation and Integration Rules

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't know how to solve part (b)(iii).

Is it necessary to solve for s of r(s) = 2900 or [tex]\int[/tex][tex]^{s}_{0}[/tex] r(s) ds = 2900?

Can anyone tell me how to solve it?

Thank you very much!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
?? I can find no "part (c)" in what you have written.

HallsofIvy said:
?? I can find no "part (c)" in what you have written.

Sorry, it should be part (b)(iii) instead of part (c).

Basing on previous observations, the migrants of that species start to leave Mai Po when the rate of change of N(t) is equal to one hundredth of N(t).
So solve N'(t)= N(t)/100 to find T1, the number of days until they start to leave. Also find N(T1) to determine how many there are in Mai Po on that date.

Basing on previous observations, the migrants of that species start to leave Mai Po when the rate of change of N(t) is equal to one hundredth of N(t). Once they start to leave, the original model will not be valid and no more migrants will arrive. It is known that the migrants will leave at the rate r(s) per day where r(s) = 60 and s is the number of days elapsed since they started to leave Mai Po.
r(s) is a constant, 60, so the number that leave in s days will be 60s. Solve 60s= N(T1) to get s= T2, the number of days from the day the birds start to leave until there are none left.

HallsofIvy said:
So solve N'(t)= N(t)/100 to find T1, the number of days until they start to leave. Also find N(T1) to determine how many there are in Mai Po on that date.

r(s) is a constant, 60, so the number that leave in s days will be 60s. Solve 60s= N(T1) to get s= T2, the number of days from the day the birds start to leave until there are none left.

r(s) = 60 [tex]\sqrt{s}[/tex] (but not a constant 60)

Should I need to set the equation: 60 s [tex]\sqrt{s}[/tex] = 2900 to solve this problem?

Related to Application of Integration III

1. How is integration used to find the area between two curves?

Integration is used to find the area between two curves by taking the definite integral of the difference between the two curves over a given interval. This process involves finding the points of intersection between the two curves and setting up the integral accordingly.

2. Can integration be used to find the volume of a solid?

Yes, integration can be used to find the volume of a solid by taking the definite integral of the cross-sectional area of the solid as the variable of integration varies. This process is known as the method of cross-sections.

3. What is the difference between indefinite and definite integration?

Indefinite integration, also known as anti-derivatives, refers to finding a function that, when differentiated, yields the original function. Definite integration, on the other hand, involves finding the numerical value of the area under a curve over a specific interval.

4. How can integration be used to solve optimization problems?

Integration can be used to solve optimization problems by finding the maximum or minimum value of a function over a given interval. This is done by setting up an optimization equation, taking the derivative, and using critical points to determine the maximum or minimum value.

5. Is integration useful in real-world applications?

Yes, integration is widely used in various real-world applications, such as physics, engineering, economics, and statistics. It is used to model and analyze continuous systems and phenomena, making it an essential tool in many fields of study.